Interest rate pass through and asymmetries in adjustable rate mortgages
AbstractThis study extends the recent work on interest rate pass through from the federal funds rate to mortgage rates. The Enders-Siklos (2001) momentum threshold autoregressive (MTAR) model is used to test for cointegration and asymmetric adjustment in adjustable rate mortgages for newly built and previously owned homes over the federal funds targeting period 1987:2 to 2005:6. Based on the MTAR specification, the respective adjustable rate mortgages and the federal funds rate are cointegrated but with incomplete interest rate pass through. The results also indicate asymmetries in the response of the adjustable rates to changes in the federal funds rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2007)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Sajid Anwar, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through and the Asymmetric Relationship between the Cash Rate and the Mortgage Rate," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(282), pages 341-350, 09.
- Ralf Becker & Denise R Osborn & Dilem Yildirim, 2010.
"A threshold cointegration analysis of interest rate pass-through to UK mortgage rates,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
141, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Becker, Ralf & Osborn, Denise R. & Yildirim, Dilem, 2012. "A threshold cointegration analysis of interest rate pass-through to UK mortgage rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2504-2513.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Amir Arjomandi & Martin O'Brien, 2013. "Does the interest rate for business loans respond asymmetrically to changes in the cash rate?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(9), pages 869-874, June.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2013. "The pricing behaviour of Australian banks and building societies in the residential mortgage market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 133-151.
- Dilem Yildirim, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through to Turkish Lending Rates: A Threshold Cointegration Analysis," ERC Working Papers 1207, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Sep 2012.
- Abbas Valadkhani & Sajid Anwar & Amir Arjonandi, 2012. "How to capture the full extent of price stickiness in credit card interest rates?," Economics Working Papers wp12-02, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.