Economic reforms and bank efficiency in developing countries: the case of the Indian banking industry
AbstractUsing the Indian banking industry as a case study, this paper proposes and tests hypotheses regarding the possibility of a relationship between three elements of the Economic Reforms (ERs) - namely, fiscal reforms, financial reforms, and private investment liberalisation - and bank efficiency in developing countries. Bank efficiency is measured using data envelopment analysis (DEA); the relationship between the measured efficiency and various bank-specific characteristics and environmental factors associated with the ERs is examined using the OLS and the GMM estimations. Our results show an improvement in the efficiency of banks, especially that of foreign banks, after the ERs. We find a positive relationship between the level of competition and bank efficiency. However, a negative relationship between the presence of foreign banks and bank efficiency is found, which we attribute to a short-run increase in costs due to the introduction of new banking technology by foreign banks. Furthermore, we find that fiscal deficits negatively influence bank efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2004. "The short-term effects of foreign bank entry on domestic bank behaviour: Does economic development matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 553-568, March.
- George Clarke & Robert Cull & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Susana M. S·nchez, 2003. "Foreign Bank Entry: Experience, Implications for Developing Economies, and Agenda for Further Research," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 25-59.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2003.
"A comparative study of efficiency in European banking,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1865-1876.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2000. "A Comparative Study of Efficiency in European Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Williamson, John, 2000. "What Should the World Bank Think about the Washington Consensus?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 251-64, August.
- Ariff, Mohamed & Can, Luc, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of Chinese banks: A non-parametric analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-273, June.
- Moffat, Boitnmelo & Valadkhani, Abbas, 2008. "Technical efficiency in Botswana’s financial institutions: a DEA approach," Economics Working Papers wp08-14, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Varmaz, Armin & Varwig, Andreas & Poddig, Thorsten, 2013. "Centralized resource planning and Yardstick competition," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 112-118.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2010.
"How Did State-Owned Banks Respond To Privatization? Evidence From The Indian Experiment,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(3), pages 389-421, 09.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010. "How did state-owned banks respond to privatization? Evidence from the Indian experiment," MPRA Paper 24716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajagopal & Ananya Rajagopal, 2007. "Emerging Perspectives on Self Service Technologies in Retail Banking," Marketing Working Papers 2007-07-MKT, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Shah Habibullah, 2010. "Financial Disruptions and the Evolution of Malaysian Banking Sector’s Efficiency: A Non-Stochastic Frontier Approach," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 166-186.
- Prodromos D. Chatzoglou & Anastasios D. Diamantidis & Eftichia Vraimaki & Elena Polychrou & Kyriakos Chatzitheodorou, 2010. "Banking productivity: an overview of the Greek banking system," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(12), pages 1007-1027, December.
- Rajagopal, 2006. "Technology and Customer Value Dynamics in Banking Industry: Measuring Symbiotic Influence in Growth and Performance," Marketing Working Papers 2006-07-MKT, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- A.I. Dimitras & K. Kosmidou & A.K. Apostolou, 2010. "Bank efficiency estimation and the change of the accounting standards: evidence from Greece," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 20-39.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "Determinants of multinational banks’ subsidiary performance: the host and home country effects," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 130-155, August.
- Sailesh Tanna & Fotios Pasiouras & Matthias Nnadi, 2011. "The Effect of Board Size and Composition on the Efficiency of UK Banks," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 441-462, November.
- Sufian, Fadzlan, 2009. "Determinants of bank efficiency during unstable macroeconomic environment: Empirical evidence from Malaysia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 54-77, January.
- Moffat, Boitnmelo & Valadkhani, Abbas & Harvie, Charles, 2008. "Identifying productivity change in Botswana’s financial institutions: an application of Malmquist productivity indices," Economics Working Papers wp08-13, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Hsiang-Hsi Liu & Tser-Yieth Chen & Jia-Wen Chen, 2013. "Incorporating the Credit Ranking Measure to Evaluate the Operating Efficiency of Financial Holding Companies in Taiwan," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(10), pages 1386-1404, October.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Aggeliki Liadaki & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Bank efficiency and share performance: evidence from Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1121-1130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.