The dynamic relationship between real exchange rates, real interest rates and foreign exchange reserves: empirical evidence from China
AbstractThis article examines the long-run and short-run relationship between China's real exchange rate, foreign exchange reserves and the real interest rate differential between China and the United States using monthly data from 1980 to 2002. Extensive testing for unit roots allowing for up to two structural breaks in the trend indicates that the variables are not integrated of the same order. Thus, the bounds testing approach to cointegration is used, which finds that there is a single long-run relationship between the three variables. In the long run the real exchange rate has a statistically significant positive effect on foreign exchange reserves. The coefficient on the real interest rate differential is also positive, but is statistically insignificant. In the short-run it is found that the relationship between the real exchange rate, real interest rate differential and foreign exchange reserves is non-monotonic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meese, R. & Rogoff, K., 1988.
"Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Ralation Over The Modern Floating-Rate Period,"
368, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Meese, Richard A & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1988. " Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Relation over the Modern Floating-Rate Period," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 933-48, September.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Edison, Hali J & Melick, William R, 1999.
"Alternative Approaches to Real Exchange Rates and Real Interest Rates: Three Up and Three Down,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 93-111, April.
- Hali J. Edison & William R. Melick, 1995. "Alternative approaches to real exchange rates and real interest rates: three up and three down," International Finance Discussion Papers 518, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lu, M. & Zhang, Z., 1998.
"Exchange rate reform and its inflationary consequences: an empirical analysis for China,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9808, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Maozu Lu & Zhichao Zhang, 2003. "Exchange rate reform and its inflationary consequences: an empirical analysis for China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 189-199.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Chih-Chiang Hsu & Chung-Ming Kuan, 2001. "Distinguishing between trend-break models: method and empirical evidence," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(2), pages 1.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Jian Yang & David J. Leatham, 2001. "Currency Convertibility And Linkage Between Chinese Official And Swap Market Exchange Rates," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(3), pages 347-359, 07.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2004. "The relationship between the real exchange rate and balance of payments: empirical evidence for China from cointegration and causality testing," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 287-291.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2004.
"Is Official Exchange Rate Intervention Effective?,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71, pages 1-11, 02.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Girardin, Eric, 2001. "Foreign exchange markets in transition economies: China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 215-235, February.
- Evan Tanner, 2002. "Exchange Market Pressure, Currency Crises, and Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 02/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Georgios E. Chortareas & Rebecca L. Driver, 2001. "PPP and the real exchange rate-real interest rate differential puzzle revisited: evidence from non-stationary panel data," Bank of England working papers 138, Bank of England.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Kees Koedijk, 1990.
"What do we know about the long-run real exchange rate?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 36-48.
- Coughlin, C.C. & Koedijk, C.G., 1990. "What do we know about the long run real exchange rate?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3108738, Tilburg University.
- Zhichao Zhang, 2000. "Exchange Rate Reform in China: An Experiment in the Real Targets Approach," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 1057-1081, 08.
- Jeffrey Frankel, 2006. "On the Yuan: The Choice between Adjustment under a Fixed Exchange Rate and Adjustment under a Flexible Rate," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(2), pages 246-275, June.
- Zhang, Zhichao, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in China: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 80-94, March.
- Zhang, Zhaoyong, 1998. "Does Devaluation of the Renminbi Improve China’s Balance of Trade?," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 51(3), pages 437-445.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 1998. "What determines real exchange rates?: The long and the short of it," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 117-153, June.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Zhichao, 2001. " China's Exchange Rate Reform and Exports," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 34(1-2), pages 89-112.
- Mylonidis, Nikolaos & Paleologou, Suzanna-Maria, 2011. "The real uncovered interest parity: The case of Canada and the USA," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 255-267, March.
- Cortes, Maria, 2007. "Examining Patterns of Bilateral Trade between Australia and Colombia by Using Cointegration Analysis and Error-Correction Models," Economics Working Papers wp07-20, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.