Testing for bubbles: an application of tests for change in persistence
AbstractThis study investigates changes in the persistence of the S&P Composite dividend-price ratio. Recently developed tests are employed that allow for breaks between periods in which the data are integrated of order zero, I(0), and integrated of order one, I(1). One of the tests finds a break from I(0) to I(1) in the mid-1970s and two of the tests find a break from I(0) to I(1) in the early, to mid-1950s. The results are discussed in light of the rational bubble hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simeon Coleman & Kavita Sirichand, 2014. "Investigating Multiple Changes in Persistence in International Yields," Discussion Paper Series 2014_04, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2014.
- Park, Cheolbeom, 2010. "When does the dividend-price ratio predict stock returns?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 81-101, January.
- Kruse, Robinson, 2008. "Rational bubbles and fractional integration," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-394, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Otavio Ribeiro de Medeiros and Vitor Leone, 2012. "Multiple Changes in Persistence vs. Explosive Behaviour: The Dotcom Bubble," Working Papers 2012/02, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Michael Fr�mmel & Robinson Kruse, 2012.
"Testing for a rational bubble under long memory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(11), pages 1723-1732, November.
- M. Frömmel & R. Kruse, 2011. "Testing for a rational bubble under long memory," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/722, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Asako, Kazumi & Liu, Zhentao, 2013. "A statistical model of speculative bubbles, with applications to the stock markets of the United States, Japan, and China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2639-2651.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.