Analysing one-month Euro-market interest rates by fractionally integrated models
AbstractThis article considers the modelling of short-term interest rates with the ARFIMA model in six European countries based on daily data in the 1990s using the Modified Profile Likelihood estimation method. This allows one to study the different convergence processes that have been followed in each case. Empirical evidence shows that, even with this estimation method, the standard AIC tends to select models that in some cases are in accordance with traditional inference but in other cases may not be so. Analysing these results, the series for Switzerland appears to be an I(1) series, which conflicts with the findings in previous literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hassler, Uwe & Wolters, Jurgen, 1994. "On the power of unit root tests against fractional alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-5, May.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Ooms, M. & Doornik, J.A., 1999. "Inference and Forecasting for Fractional Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average Models, with an application to US and UK inflation," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9947/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Baillie, Richard T & Chung, Ching-Fan & Tieslau, Margie A, 1996. "Analysing Inflation by the Fractionally Integrated ARFIMA-GARCH Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, Jan.-Feb..
- Karim M. Abadir & A. M. Robert Taylor, . "On the Definitions of (Co-)Integration," Discussion Papers 97/19, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Smith, Anthony A, Jr & Sowell, Fallaw & Zin, Stanley E, 1997.
"Fractional Integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples,"
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 103-16.
- Tony Smith & Fallaw Sowell & Stanley Zin, . "Fractional integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples," GSIA Working Papers 22, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, December.
- Hauser, Michael A & Kunst, Robert M, 1998. " Fractionally Integrated Models with ARCH Errors: With an Application to the Swiss One-Month Euromarket Interest Rate," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 95-113, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & King, Maxwell L., 1996. "Editors' introduction: Fractional differencing and long memory processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 1-3, July.
- Chung, Ching-Fan & Baillie, Richard T, 1993. "Small Sample Bias in Conditional Sum-of-Squares Estimators of Fractionally Integrated ARMA Models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 791-806.
- Esben Hoeg & Per Frederiksen, 2006. "The Fractional OU Process: Term Structure Theory and Application," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 194, Society for Computational Economics.
- Høg, Espen P. & Frederiksen, Per H., 2006. "The Fractional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Process: Term Structure Theory and Application," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-01, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Høg, Esben & Frederiksen, Per & Schiemert, Daniel, 2008. "On the Generalized Brownian Motion and its Applications in Finance," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2008-07, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Cleomar Gomes da Silva & Flávio Vilela Vieira, 2014. "BRICS countries: real interest rates and long memory," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(1), pages 409-419.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.