Alternative beta risk estimators in cases of extreme thin trading: Canadian evidence
AbstractIn this paper, an alternative method of estimating the systematic risk for Canadian stocks is presented and empirically investigated. The method proposed is applied to a set of data impacted by censoring - the presence of zero returns, which occurs in extreme cases of thin trading. The approach used is the sample selectivity model, which is a two-step procedure: with a selectivity component and a regression component. In addition, this study compares the new beta estimate to the standard OLS beta and the Dimson Beta. The results indicate that the selectivity-corrected beta does correct the downward bias of the OLS estimates and possesses desirable statistical properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iqbal, Javed & Brooks, Robert, 2007. "Alternative beta risk estimators and asset pricing tests in emerging markets: The case of Pakistan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 75-93, February.
- Jose L. B. Fernandes & Augusto Hasman & Juan Ignacio Peña, 2006.
"Risk Premium: Insights Over The Threshold,"
Business Economics Working Papers
wb062808, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Fernandes, José L. B. & Hasman, Augusto & Peña Sánchez de Rivera, Juan Ignacio, 2008. "Risk premium: insights over the threshold," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/7070, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- José L. B. Fernandes & Augusto Hasman & Juan Ignacio Peña, 2006. "Risk Premium: Insights Over The Threshold," Working Papers Series 126, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Robert E. Houmes & John B. MacArthur & Harriet Stranahan, 2012. "The operating leverage impact on systematic risk within a context of choice: An analysis of the US trucking industry," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(12), pages 1184-1202.
- Khoury, Nabil & Perrakis, Stylianos & Savor, Marko, 2011. "Competition, interlisting and market structure in options trading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 104-117, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.