US monetary policy announcements and Irish stock market volatility
AbstractThe influence of foreign monetary policy decisions on the volatility of the Irish stock market is investigated. Specifically, the influence of US monetary policy announcements on the ISEQ is examined. Evidence of the so-called calm before the storm is found, i.e., there appears to be a decline in volatility on the day prior to an FOMC meeting and a subsequent increase in volatility after the results of the FOMC meeting is made known. Also evidence is found to suggest that ISEQ volatility is influenced by surprise changes in US monetary policy. Moreover, US monetary surprises appear to affect Irish stock return volatility asymmetrically with a surprise tightening of US monetary policy leading to an increase in Irish stock return volatility. This paper represents an important step in addressing the issues of spillover identification between the USA and the Irish stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xinsheng Lu & Ying Zhou & Mingting Kou, 2013. "The Impact of Monetary Policy Surprises on Australian Financial Futures Markets," Working Papers 2013-01, Auckland University of Technology, Department of Economics.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Nguyen, Do Quoc Tho, 2009.
"The spillover effects of target interest rate news from the U.S. Fed and the European Central Bank on the Asia-Pacific stock markets,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 415-431, July.
- Suk-Joong, Kim & Do Quoc Tho, Nguyen, 2008. "The spillover effects of target interest rate news from the U.S. Fed and the European Central Bank on the Asia-Pacific stock markets," MPRA Paper 17213, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Nguyen, Do Quoc Tho, 2008. "The reaction of the Australian financial markets to the interest rate news from the Reserve Bank of Australia and the U.S. Fed," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 378-395, September.
- Madhuri Malhotra & M Thenmozhi & Arun Kumar Gopalaswamy, 2012. "Evidence on Changes in Time Varying Volatility around Bonus and Rights Issue Announcements," Working Papers id:4728, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.