An empirical analysis of the effects of options and futures listing on the underlying stock return volatility: the Portuguese case
AbstractThe volatility implications of derivatives listing are not understood. Theoretical and empirical analyses on this issue have led to conflicting conclusions. This paper analyses the volatility effect of the initial exchange-listing of options and futures on the Portuguese capital market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Sean Becketti & Dan J. Roberts, 1990. "Will increased regulation of stock index futures reduce stock market volatility?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Nov, pages 33-46.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Chaudhury, Mohammed & Elfakhami, Said, 1997. "Listing of put options: Is there any volatility effect?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 57-75.
- Kasman, Adnan & Kasman, Saadet, 2008. "The impact of futures trading on volatility of the underlying asset in the Turkish stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2837-2845.
- Evangelos Drimbetas & Nikolaos Sariannidis & Nicos Porfiris, 2007. "The effect of derivatives trading on volatility of the underlying asset: evidence from the Greek stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 139-148.
- Asli Ascioglu & Murat Aydogdu & Lynn Phillips Kugele, 2013. "The Impact of Option Listing on the Trading Activity of Turkcell’s American Depository Receipt (ADR)," Bogazici Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 1-18.
- Hiremath, Gourishankar S, 2009. "Effects of Option Introduction on Price and Volatility of Underlying Assets - A Review," MPRA Paper 46512, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.