Concurrent capital expenditure and the stock market reaction to corporate alliance announcements
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of concurrent capital expenditure on the market reaction to corporate alliance announcements. Based on a large sample of announcements made in the UK between 1993 and 1995, the evidence suggests that the market response is most favourable when new investment does not form part of the joint activity. The results also suggest that the decision to formalize the partnerships through the establishment of a joint venture impacts negatively on announcement period share returns. The findings are shown to be consistent with a scenario whereby the market response reflects concern about the dangers of overly-committed partnerships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, K C, 1988. "On the Contrarian Investment Strategy," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 147-63, April.
- Johnson, Shane A. & Houston, Mark B., 2000. "A Rexamination of the Motives and Gains in Joint Ventures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 67-85, March.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- McConnell, John J & Nantell, Timothy J, 1985. " Corporate Combinations and Common Stock Returns: The Case of Joint Ventures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 519-36, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Chung, Kee H. & Wright, Peter & Charoenwong, Charlie, 1998. "Investment opportunities and market reaction to capital expenditure decisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 41-60, January.
- David Hillier & Andrew P. Marshall, 2002. "The Market Evaluation of Information in Directors' Trades," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1&2), pages 77-110.
- Chan, Su Han & Martin, John D. & Kensinger, John W., 1990. "Corporate research and development expenditures and share value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 255-276, August.
- Hanvanich, Sangphet & Çavusgil, S. Tamer, 2001. "Stock market reactions to international joint venture announcement: an event analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-154, April.
- Bruce M. Burton & A. Alasdair Lonie & David M. Power, 1999. "The Stock Market Reaction to Investment Announcements: The Case of Individual Capital Expenditure Projects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5&6), pages 681-708.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Michael S. Long & Ileen B. Malitz, 1983. "Investment Patterns and Financial Leverage," NBER Working Papers 1145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Su, Han Chan & Kensinger, John W. & Keown, Arthur J. & Martin, John D., 1997. "Do strategic alliances create value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 199-221, November.
- Jeffrey W. Allen & Gordon M. Phillips, 2000. "Corporate Equity Ownership, Strategic Alliances, and Product Market Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2791-2815, December.
- Park, Seung Ho & Kim, Dongcheol, 1997. "Market valuation of joint ventures: Joint venture characteristics and wealth gains," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 83-108, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.