The volatility impact of the European monetary system on member and non-member currencies
AbstractThe objective of the European Monetary System (EMS) is to increase the coherence of its member economies and to facilitate the process towards the European Monetary Union. One major element in the process has been the coordinated effort in reducing the volatility of the member currencies through the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM). To the same end, the Basle-Nyborg agreement of the European Union (EU) central bankers aims at strengthening the credibility of the EMS through providing credit facilities for intramarginal interventions. In this paper, the impact that the establishment of the EMS and the ratification of the Basle-Nyborg agreement had on the exchange rates of all EU currencies is studied. A multivariate GARCH(1,1) model is applied to all EU exchange rates in three subperiods: from January 1975 to the establishment of the EMS (March 1979); from March 1979 to the Basle-Nyborg agreement (September 1987); and from September 1987 to October 1991. Comparisons of the estimated parameters are performed across subperiods and between EMS and non-EMS currencies. The characteristics of the estimated conditional variances across subperiods are further examined with nonparametric tests. The findings suggest that the EMS and, especially, the Basle-Nyborg agreement have stabilized the European currencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1986.
"The dynamics of exchange rate volatility: a multivariate latent factor ARCH model,"
Special Studies Papers
205, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1989.
"The Message in Daily Exchange Rates: A Conditional-Variance Tale,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 297-305, July.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 2002. "The Message in Daily Exchange Rates: A Conditional-Variance Tale," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 60-68, January.
- Miller, M. & Weller, P., 1988.
"Exchange Rate Bands And Realignments In A Stationary Stochastic Setting,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
317, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Weller, Paul, 1989. "Exchange Rate Bands and Realignments in a Stationary Stochastic Setting," CEPR Discussion Papers 299, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lastrapes, William D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Monetary Policy: An ARCH Application," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 66-77, February.
- Michael J. Artis & Mark P. Taylor, 1993. "The Stabilizing Effect of the ERM on Exchange Rates and Interest Rates - An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 93/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Rose, Andrew K & Svensson, Lars E O, 1993.
"European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "European exchange rate credibility before the fall," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1185-1216, June.
- Rose, A.K. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," Papers 542, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Andrew K. Rose & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," NBER Working Papers 4495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Mali J. Edison & Linda S. Kole, 1995.
"European monetary arrangements: Implications for the dollar, exchange rate variability and credibility,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(1), pages 61-86.
- Hali J. Edison & Linda S. Kole, 1994. "European monetary arrangements: implications for the dollar, exchange rate variability and credibility," International Finance Discussion Papers 468, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, F X & Pauly, P, 1988. "Has the EMS Reduced Member-Country Exchange Rate Volatility?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 81-102.
- Bera, Anil K. & Jarque, Carlos M., 1982. "Model specification tests : A simultaneous approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 59-82, October.
- Nieuwland, Frederick G M C & Verschoor, Willem F C & Wolff, Christian C P, 1994. "Stochastic trends and jumps in EMS exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 699-727, December.
- Boltho, Andrea & Eichengreen, Barry, 2008. "The Economic Impact of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 6820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ana Filipa Carvalho & Jose Sa da Costa & Jose Assis Lopes, 2006. "A systematic modelling strategy for futures markets volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 819-833.
- A. Morales-Zumaquero & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero, 2008.
"Macroeconomic instability in the European monetary system?,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(12), pages 965-983.
- Amalia Morales Zumaquero & Simón Sosvilla Rivero, 2006. "Macroeconomic Instability in the European Monetary System?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/06, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.