A simple test of the Fama and French model using daily data: Australian evidence
AbstractThe current study contributes to the empirical literature aimed at testing the Fama and French three-factor model, using daily Australian data. In general, the evidence found is quite favourable to the model based on formal asset pricing tests. However, when the estimated risk premia are taken into account, the support for the Fama-French model is less persuasive. In particular, a negative size premium is uncovered consistent with a wave of recent findings questioning its continued existence over recent years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S. P. & Wasley, Charles, 1989. "The relation between the return interval and betas : Implications for the size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 79-100, June.
- Raymond Kan & Chu Zhang, 1999. "Two-Pass Tests of Asset Pricing Models with Useless Factors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 203-235, 02.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, .
"Institutional Investors and Equity Prices,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
20-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Kothari, S P & Shanken, Jay & Sloan, Richard G, 1995. " Another Look at the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 185-224, March.
- Steven Heston & K. Rouwenhorst & Roberto Wessels, 2008.
"The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm86, Yale School of Management.
- Steven L. Heston & K. Geert Rouwenhorst & Roberto E. Wessels, 1999. "The Role of Beta and Size in the Cross-Section of European Stock Returns," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(1), pages 9-27.
- Andrew Clare, Richard Priestley & Steven Thomas, .
"Reports of beta's death are premature: evidence from the UK,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
96-05, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Clare, A. D. & Priestley, R. & Thomas, S. H., 1998. "Reports of beta's death are premature: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1207-1229, September.
- Pettengill, Glenn N. & Sundaram, Sridhar & Mathur, Ike, 1995. "The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Loughran, Tim & Savin, N. E., 2000. "Three analyses of the firm size premium," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 143-153, August.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Bhardwaj, Ravinder K & Brooks, LeRoy D, 1993. "Dual Betas from Bull and Bear Markets: Reversal of the Size Effect," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 269-83, Winter.
- Tyler Shumway & Vincent A. Warther, 1999. "The Delisting Bias in CRSP's Nasdaq Data and Its Implications for the Size Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2361-2379, December.
- Gomez Biscarri, Javier & Lopez Espinosa, German, 2008.
"The influence of differences in accounting standards on empirical pricing models: An application to the Fama-French model,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 369-388, October.
- Javier Gomez Biscarri & Germán López Espinosa, . "The influence of differences in accounting standards on empirical pricing models: An application to the Fama-French model," Faculty Working Papers 13/07, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- José L. B. Fernandes & Augusto Hasman & Juan Ignacio Peña, 2006.
"Risk Premium: Insights Over The Threshold,"
Working Papers Series
126, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Paola Brighi & Stefano d’Addona & Antonio Carlo Francesco Della Bina, 2010. "Too Small or too Low? New Evidence on the 4-Factor Model," Working Paper Series 31_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Galariotis, Emilios C., 2010. "What should we know about momentum investing? The case of the Australian Security Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 369-389, September.
- Gharghori, Philip & Hamzah, Yusuf & Veeraraghavan, Madhu, 2010. "Migration and its contribution to the size and value premiums: Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-196, April.
- F. Javier De Peña & Carlos Forner-Rodríguez & Germán López-Espinosa, . "Fundamentals and the origin of Fama-French factors," Faculty Working Papers 04/08, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Claudio Morana & Andrea Beltratti, 2006.
"Structural breaks and common factors in the volatility of the Fama-French factor portfolios,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(14), pages 1059-1073.
- Andrea Beltratti & Claudio Morana, 2005. "Structural Breaks and Common Factors in the Volatility of the Fama-French Factor Portfolios," ICER Working Papers 23-2005, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Emilios Galariotis, 2010. "What should investors know about the stability of momentum investing and its riskiness? The case of the Australian Security Exchange," Post-Print hal-00917587, HAL.
- Quentin Wodon, 2007. "Constructing Fama-French Factors from style indexes: Japanese evidence," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(7), pages 1-10.
- Ramiah, Vikash & Cheng, Ka Yeung & Orriols, Julien & Naughton, Tony & Hallahan, Terrence, 2011. "Contrarian investment strategies work better for dually-traded stocks: Evidence from Hong Kong," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 140-156, January.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2007:i:7:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.