Simple and extended Kalman filters: an application to term structures of commodity prices
AbstractThis article presents and compares two different Kalman filters. These methods provide a very interesting way to cope with the presence of non-observable variables, which is a frequent problem in finance. They are also very fast even in the presence of a large information volume. The first filter presented, which corresponds to the simplest version of a Kalman filter, can be used solely in the case of linear models. The second filter - the extended one - is a generalization of the first one, and it enables one to deal with non-linear models. However, it also introduces an approximation in the analysis, whose possible influence must be appreciated. The principles of the method and its advantages are first presented. It is then explained why it is interesting in the case of term structure models of commodity prices. Choosing a well-known term structure model, practical implementation problems are discussed and tested. Finally, in order to appreciate the impact of the approximation introduced for non-linear models, the two filters are compared.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lautier, Delphine & Javaheri, Alireza & Galli, Alain, 2003. "Filtering in Finance," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/871, Paris Dauphine University.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Lubnau, Thorben, 2014. "Spread trading strategies in the crude oil futures market," Discussion Papers 353, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.