An alternative conditional asymmetry specification for stock returns
AbstractThe paper advances the log-generalized gamma distribution as a suitable generator of conditional skewness. Based on the NYSE composite daily returns an asMA-asQGARCH model along with skewness dynamics is estimated. The results indicate a skewness that varies between sizeable negative skewness and almost symmetry. The conditional variance and skewness measures are negatively correlated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Other versions of this item:
- Kurt Brännäs & Niklas Nordman, 2001. "An Alternative Conditional Asymmetry Specification for Stock Returns," CESifo Working Paper Series 448, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Nordman, Niklas, 2001. "An Alternative Conditional Asymmetry Specification for Stock Returns," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 556, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunner, Allan D, 1992.
"Conditional Asymmetries in Real GNP: A Seminonparametric Approach,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 65-72, January.
- Allan D. Brunner, 1990. "Conditional asymmetries in real GNP: a semi-nonparametric approach," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurt Brännäs & Jan G. de Gooijer, 2000.
"Asymmetries in Conditional Mean and Variance: Modelling Stock Returns by asMA-asQGARCH,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-049/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan G. De Gooijer & Kurt Brännäs, 2004. "Asymmetries in conditional mean and variance: modelling stock returns by asMA-asQGARCH," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 155-171.
- Brännäs, Kurt & de Gooijer, Jan G., 2000. "ASYMMETRIES IN CONDITIONAL MEAN AND VARIANCE: MODELLING STOCK RETURNS BY asMA-asQGARCH," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 535, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Joseph & Hong, Harrison & Stein, Jeremy C., 2001.
"Forecasting crashes: trading volume, past returns, and conditional skewness in stock prices,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 345-381, September.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000. "Forecasting Crashes: Trading Volume, Past Returns and Conditional Skewness in Stock Prices," NBER Working Papers 7687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008.
"Parameterizing unconditional skewness in models for financial time series,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-07, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(2), pages 208-230, Spring.
- Changli He & Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Ter?svirta, 2005. "Parameterizing Unconditional Skewness in Models for Financial Time Series," Research Paper Series 169, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Nordman, Niklas, 2001.
"Conditional Skewness Modelling for Stock Returns,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
562, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- C. James Hueng, 2006. "Short-sales constraints and stock return asymmetry: evidence from the Chinese stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 707-716.
- Lai, Jing-yi, 2012. "Shock-dependent conditional skewness in international aggregate stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 72-83.
- Brännäs, Kurt, 2003. "Temporal Aggregation of the Returns of a Stock Index Series," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 614, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Soultanaeva, Albina, 2006. "Influence of News in Moscow and New York on Returns and Risks on Baltic State Stock Indices," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 696, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Kurt Brannas & Albina Soultanaeva, 2011. "Influence of news from Moscow and New York on returns and risks of Baltic States’ stock markets," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 109-124, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.