Cost and profit efficiency in the Spanish banking sector (1985-1996): a non-parametric approach
AbstractThe aim of this article is to analyse the efficiency in costs and in profits of the Spanish banking sector (SBS) in the period 1985-1996 using a non-parametric approach. The results obtained show the existence of profit efficiency levels well below those corresponding to cost efficiency, alternative profit efficiency being below standard profit efficiency. These results imply the existence of market power in the setting of prices and/or the existence of differences in the quality of bank output reflected in the differences in prices. With regard to the immediate future, of full economic and monetary integration, the reduction of profit levels associated with higher competitive pressure may be offset by the reduction of all kinds of inefficiency, which is a very important potential source of competitiveness. Indeed, the results referring to 1996 indicate that the return on assets (ROA) and on equity (ROE) of the SBS could increase by 2.4% and 24.4% respectively, eliminating the combined inefficiency in costs and revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amaya Altuzarra & Jesús Ferreiro & Catalina Gálvez & Carmen Gómez & Ana González & Patricia Peinado & Carlos Rodríguez & Felipe Serrano, 2013. "Studies in Financial Systems No 6 Report on the Spanish Financial System," FESSUD studies fstudy06, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Gómez-Gallego, Juan Cándido & Gómez-García, Juan & Pérez-Cárceles, María Concepción, 2012. "Appropriate Distribution of Cost Inefficiency Estimates as Predictor of Financial Instability /La distribución de la ineficiencia estimada como predictor de inestabilidad financiera," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1071 (12 pa, Diciembre.
- Leigh M. Drake & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Richard Simper, 2005.
"The Impact of Macroeconomic and Regulatory Factors on Bank Efficiency: A Non-Parametric Analysis of Hong Kong's Banking System,"
012005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Simper, Richard, 2006. "The impact of macroeconomic and regulatory factors on bank efficiency: A non-parametric analysis of Hong Kong's banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1443-1466, May.
- Béjaoui Rouissi, Raoudha, 2011. "Cost and profit efficiency of french commercial banks," MPRA Paper 34245, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad, Tanko, 2008. "A DEA Analysis of Bank Performance in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 33560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.