Determinants of capital structure choice: a study of the Indian corporate sector
AbstractExisting empirical research on capital structure has been largely confined to the United States and a few other advanced countries. This paper attempts to study the capital structure choice of Less Developed Countries (LDCs) through a case study of the Indian Corporate sector. The objective is to develop a model that accounts for the possibility of restructuring costs in attaining an optimal capital structure and addresses the measurement problem that arises due to the unobservable nature of the attributes influencing the optimal capital structure. The evidence presented here suggests that the optimal capital structure choice can be influenced by factors such as growth, cash flow, size, and product and industry characteristics. The results also confirm the existence of restructuring costs in attaining an optimal capital structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2013. "On the alternative proxies for estimating firm growth in empirical corporate finance literature: Evidence from Indian manufacturing sector," MPRA Paper 44874, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chakraborty, Indrani, 2010. "Capital structure in an emerging stock market: The case of India," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Sinha, Pankaj & Bansal, Vishakha, 2013. "Capital structure puzzle: the interrelationship between leverage, taxes and other micro economic factors," MPRA Paper 49878, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Sep 2013.
- Balla, Andrea, 2006.
"Tőkeszerkezeti döntések - empirikus elemzés a magyar feldolgozóipari vállalatokról 1992-2001 között
[Decisions affecting capital structure - an empirical analysis of Hungarian manufacturin," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 681-700.
- Wolfgang Drobetz & Gabrielle Wanzenried, 2006. "What determines the speed of adjustment to the target capital structure?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(13), pages 941-958.
- Love, Inessa & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005. "Firm financing in India : recent trends and patterns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3476, The World Bank.
- Gonzalez-Diaz, Manuel & Solis-Rodriguez, Vanesa, 2012. "Why do entrepreneurs use franchising as a financial tool? An agency explanation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 325-341.
- Ramachandran Azhagaiah & Candasamy Gavoury, 2011. "The Impact of Capital Structure on Profitability with Special Reference to IT Industry in India vs. Domestic Products," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 9(4 (Winter), pages 371-392.
- Viet Anh Dang, 2005. "Testing the Trade-off and Pecking Order Theory: Some UK Evidence," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 28, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mohammad M. Omran & John Pointon, 2009. "Capital structure and firm characteristics: an empirical analysis from Egypt," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 454-474, November.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The Determinants of Indebtedness in Unlisted Manufacturing Firms in India: A Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 43427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khaled Ba-Abbad & Nurwati Ashikkin Ahmad-Zaluki, 2012. "The Determinants of Capital Structure of Qatari Listed Companies," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(2), pages 93-108, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.