Accounting for conditional leptokurtosis and closing days effects in FIGARCH models of daily exchange rates
AbstractThis paper, estimates FIGARCH models introduced by Baillie et al. (1996a) for the four major daily exchange rates against the USD (DEM, FRF, YEN and the GBP). The former contributions are extended by accounting for the observed kurtosis through a Student- t based maximum likelihood estimation and by including variables capturing the effect of closing days. These estimations suggest that the introduction of these features improves the goodness of fit properties of the model on the one hand, and may lead to different interest parameters estimates on the other hand. In particular, it is shown that in the case of the DEM, volatility shocks may display much less persistence than documented by previous studies. Finally, it is shown that an ARFIMA-FIGARCH framework turns out to be relevant for all the currencies (except the GBP), without inducing any significant changes in the inference of the stochastic volatility process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Other versions of this item:
- Michel Beine & Sébastien Laurent & Christelle Lecourt, 2002. "Accounting for conditional leptokurtosis and closing days effects in FIGARCH models of daily exchange rates," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10443, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karanasos, Menelaos & Kim, Jinki, 2006. "A re-examination of the asymmetric power ARCH model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 113-128, January.
- Michel Beine & Agnes Bénassy-Quéré & Christelle Lecourt, 2002.
"Central Bank intervention and foreign exchange rates: new evidence from FIGARCH estimations,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10445, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beine, Michel & Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Lecourt, Christelle, 2002. "Central bank intervention and foreign exchange rates: new evidence from FIGARCH estimations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 115-144, February.
- Michel Beine & Sébastien Laurent, 2003.
"Central Bank interventions and jumps in double long memory models of daily exchange rates,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10435, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beine, Michel & Laurent, Sebastien, 2003. "Central bank interventions and jumps in double long memory models of daily exchange rates," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 641-660, December.
- BEINE, Michel & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "Central bank interventions and jumps in double long memory models of daily exchange rates," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1706, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Beine & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Christelle Lecourt, 1999. "The Impact of Foreign Exchange Interventions: New Evidence from FIGARCH Estimations," Working Papers 1999-14, CEPII research center.
- Deniz Erdemlioglu & Sébastien Laurent & Christopher J. Neely, 2012. "Econometric modeling of exchange rate volatility and jumps," Working Papers 2012-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Han, Young Wook, 2007. "High frequency perspective on jump process, long memory property and temporal aggregation: Case of $-AUD exchange rates," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 248-262, March.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2007. "Long memory properties in return and volatility: Evidence from the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(2), pages 591-600.
- Su, Jung-Bin & Hung, Jui-Cheng, 2011. "Empirical analysis of jump dynamics, heavy-tails and skewness on value-at-risk estimation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1117-1130, May.
- Wu, Ping-Tsung & Shieh, Shwu-Jane, 2007. "Value-at-Risk analysis for long-term interest rate futures: Fat-tail and long memory in return innovations," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 248-259, March.
- Michel Beine & Sébastien Laurent, 2000.
"Structural change and long memory in volatility: new evidence from daily exchange rates,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10473, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Sebastien Laurent, 2000. "Structural Change and Long Memory in Volatility: New Evidence from Daily Exchange Rates," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0312, Econometric Society.
- Antonio Rubia & Trino-Manuel ��guez, 2006.
"Forecasting the conditional covariance matrix of a portfolio under long-run temporal dependence,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(6), pages 439-458.
- Antonio Rubia Serrano & Trino-Manuel Ñíguez, 2003. "Forecasting The Conditional Covariance Matrix Of A Portfolio Under Long-Run Temporal Dependence," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-34, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Agnieszka Jach & Piotr Kokoszka, 2010. "Empirical wavelet analysis of tail and memory properties of LARCH and FIGARCH models," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 163-182, March.
- Ken Johnston & David Carter & John Hatem, 2005. "Exchange rates, and fundamental variables: a semi-parametric analysis of binary choice," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(16), pages 1915-1924.
- Trino-Manuel Ñíguez, 2003. "Volatility And Var Forecasting For The Ibex-35 Stock-Return Index Using Figarch-Type Processes And Different Evaluation Criteria," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-33, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.