Tests for interest rate convergence and structural breaks in the EMS: further analysis
AbstractIn this paper the linkages existing between the interest rates within the European Union countries are assessed, to discover if the Exchange Rate Mechanism has led to a converging process. This hypothesis is tested using the uncovered interest rate parity relative to the Maastricht Treaty's interest rate criterion. The obtained results allow classification of the European countries from the point of view of the degree of convergence already achieved. The techniques used are unit roots, allowing for endogenously determined changes in the deterministic trends of the data, as well as the Kalman filter, which permits the convergence path of the series to be followed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2010.
"Stochastic Convergence in the Euro Area,"
2010-32, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen Miller & Stephen Pollard, 2011. "The Global Financial Crisis and Stochastic Convergence in the Euro Area," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 315-333, August.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2005.
"Euro bonds: in search of financial spillovers,"
Sciences Po publications
2, Sciences Po.
- Siklos, Pierre L., 2010. "Meeting Maastricht: Nominal convergence of the new member states toward EMU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 507-515, March.
- Kasman, Adnan & Kirbas-Kasman, Saadet & Turgutlu, Evrim, 2008. "Monetary policy convergence of potential EMU accession countries: A cointegration analysis with shifting regimes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 340-350, March.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Wegener, Christoph & Basse, Tobias, 2013. "Testing for a Break in the Persistence in Yield Spreads of EMU Government Bonds," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-517, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Sonila Beliu & Matthew Higgins, 2004. "Fractional cointegration analysis of EU convergence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(14), pages 1607-1611.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2009. "Did the Maastricht treaty matter for macroeconomic performance?," MPRA Paper 30106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adnan Kasman & Saadet Kirbas-Kasman & Evrim Turgutlu, 2005. "Nominal and real convergence between the CEE countries and the EU: a fractional cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(21), pages 2487-2500.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.