Financial liberalization and stock market volatility in selected developing countries
AbstractThis study empirically investigates whether stock market volatility increased following financial liberalization, in six 'emerging' markets. The sample countries are Argentina, India, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea and Taiwan. To examine the issue, the news impact curves are utilized which relate current volatility to past news. The news impact curves are derived from the parameters of EGARCH models which measure the conditional volatility of stock returns in the sample markets. The results suggest that volatility fell after important liberalization policies were implemented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Osamah Al-Khazali & Ali Darrat & Mohsen Saad, 2006. "Intra-regional integration of the GCC stock markets: the role of market liberalization," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(17), pages 1265-1272.
- Ramaprasad Bhar & Biljana Nikolova, 2009. "Oil Prices and Equity Returns in the BRIC Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7), pages 1036-1054, 07.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2007:i:10:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ritab Al-Khouri & Abdulkhader Abdallah, 2012. "Market liberalization and volatility of returns in emerging markets: The case of Qatar Exchange (QSC)," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 106-115, June.
- Jaleel, Fazeel M. & Samarakoon, Lalith P., 2009. "Stock market liberalization and return volatility: Evidence from the emerging market of Sri Lanka," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 409-423, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.