The determinants of corporate debt maturity: evidence from UK firms
AbstractThis paper investigates the empirical determinants of corporate debt maturity structure. This is done by testing several leading theoretical models of debt maturity structure using a cross-sectional data set of 321 non-financial UK firms. The evidence lends considerable support to the prediction that the impact of firm size on debt maturity is positive. The findings also provide support for the notion that firms match the maturity structure of their debt to that of their assets. The findings reveal that agency-related costs and volatility of firm value exert a negative impact on debt maturity. The empirical analysis provides no evidence that taxes affect debt maturity structure. Finally, the empirical analysis is not supportive of the signalling hypothesis that firms use their debt maturity structure to signal information to the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guerrero, Federico, 2007. "Early-stage financial globalization and corporate debt maturity: The case of South Korea, 1980-1994," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 809-824, October.
- Christopher F. Baum & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2006.
"The Effects of Short-Term Liabilities on Profitability: The Case of Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
635, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher F. Baum & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "The Effects of Short-Term Liabilities on Profitability: The Case of Germany," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 61, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Pavel Körner, 2007. "The Determinants of Corporate Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from Czech Firms (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(3-4), pages 142-158, June.
- Valentín Azofra Palenzuea & Paolo Saona Hoffmann & Eleuterio Vallelado González, 2004. "Estructura De Propiedad Y Oportunidades De Crecimiento Como Determinantes Del Endeudamiento De Las Empresas Chilenas," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 7(2), pages 105-145.
- Stephan, Andreas & Talavera, Oleksandr & Tsapin, Andriy, 2008.
"Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Transition Financial Markets,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
125, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera & Andriy Tsapin, 2008. "Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Transition Financial Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 784, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2009.
"Debt maturity structure and the 1997 Asian financial crisis,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-42, February.
- Rataporn Deesomsak & Krishna Paudyal & Gioia Pescetto, 2007. "Debt Maturity Structure and the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis," Working Papers 2007_01, Durham University Business School.
- Stephan, Andreas & Talavera, Oleksandr & Tsapin, Andriy, 2010.
"Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Emerging Financial Markets,"
JIBS Working Papers
2010-2, Jönköping International Business School.
- Stephan, Andreas & Talavera, Oleksandr & Tsapin, Andriy, 2011. "Corporate debt maturity choice in emerging financial markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 141-151, May.
- Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera & Andriy Tsapin, 2010. "Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Emerging Financial Markets," University of East Anglia Applied and Financial Economics Working Paper Series 010, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Federico Guerrero & Elliott Parker, 2006. "Financial Liberalization and Corporate Debt Maturity in Thailand, 1993-97," Working Papers 06-001, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Federico Guerrero, 2006. "Early-Stage Globalization and Corporate Debt Maturity: The Case of South Korea, 1980-94," Working Papers 06-016, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Maria-Teresa Marchica, . "Debt Maturity and the Characteristics of Ownership Structure: An Empirical Investigation of UK Firms," Discussion Papers 05/29, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Suzan Hol & Nico van der Wijst, 2006. "The financing structure of non-listed firms," Discussion Papers 468, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.