Effects of financial constraints on research and development investment: an empirical investigation
AbstractThis paper investigates the behaviour of research and development (R&D) investment. How sensitive is R&D investmentto available cash flow for financially constrained and unconstrained firms? One important distinction between R&D investment and investment in physical capital is that the result of R&D investment can not serve as collateral, as it may be impossible to put a lien on R&D capital. Given that characteristic, one would expect R&D investment to be sensitive to cash flow, especially for financially constrained firms. Using Hall's Manufacturing Sector Master File, we show that R&D investment is more sensitive to internal finance for financially constrained firms than for financially unconstrained firms in the US manufacturing sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- P. Brighi & R. Patuelli & G. Torluccio, 2012.
"Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs,"
wp845, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Paola Brighi & Roberto Patuelli & Giuseppe Torluccio, 2012. "Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs," Working Paper Series 61_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Belin, Jean & Guille, Marianne, 2008. "Defence and firm financial structure in France," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 46-61.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2008.
"Firms' Investment under Financial Constraints: A Euro Area Investigation,"
wp08-07, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2009. "Firms' investment under financial constraints: a euro area investigation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(20), pages 1611-1624.
- Fiaschi, Alessandro, 2008. "A note about credit rationing on research and development," MPRA Paper 12300, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Dec 2008.
- Yanrui Wu, 2012. "R&D Behaviour in Chinese Firms," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 12-26, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.