Efficiency and productivity change in UK banking
AbstractDespite substantial structural change and a significant intensification of competition in the UK financial services sector in recent years, the UK banking sector remains relatively under researched. This paper uses a panel data sample covering the main UK banks over the period 1984 to 1995 to investigate relative efficiencies within the sector and to analyse productivity change in UK banking over the sample period. The results provide important insights into the size-efficiency relationship in UK banking and offer a perspective on the evolving structure and competitive environment within which banks are currently operating.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. Kosmidou & F. Pasiouras & M. Doumpos & C. Zopounidis, 2006. "Assessing performance factors in the UK banking sector: A multicriteria methodology," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 25-44, February.
- Sailesh Tanna & Fotios Pasiouras & Matthias Nnadi, 2011. "The Effect of Board Size and Composition on the Efficiency of UK Banks," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 441-462, November.
- Muneesh Kumar & Padmasai Arora, 2010. "Bank efficiency measurement using alternative techniques of frontier analysis: evidence from India," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 40-69.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- A.I. Dimitras & K. Kosmidou & A.K. Apostolou, 2010. "Bank efficiency estimation and the change of the accounting standards: evidence from Greece," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 20-39.
- Daley, Jenifer & Matthews, Kent, 2009. "Measuring post-crisis productivity for Jamaican banks," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/29, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Robert Webb & Cormac Bryce & Duncan Watson, 2010. "The effect of building society demutualisation on levels of efficiency at large UK commercial banks," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(4), pages 333-355, November.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2009.
"Malmquist Indices of Pre and Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency and Technological Change in the Singaporean Banking Sector,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
228, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2010. "Malmquist Indices Of Pre- And Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In The Singaporean Banking Sector," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(04), pages 599-618.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina (Xu), 2010. "Bank productivity in China 1997-2007: Measurement and convergence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 617-628, December.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Emmanouil Sifodaskalakis, 2010. "Total factor productivity change of Greek cooperative banks," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 337-353, April.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in UK and Irish Credit Institutions," Research Technical Papers 3/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Robert Webb, 2003. "Levels of efficiency in UK retail banks: a DEA window analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 305-322.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Aggeliki Liadaki & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Bank efficiency and share performance: evidence from Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1121-1130.
- Ken Johnston & John Hatem & Thomas A. Carnes, 2010. "Investor education: how plan sponsors should report your returns," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 354-363, April.
- Moffat, Boitnmelo & Valadkhani, Abbas & Harvie, Charles, 2008. "Identifying productivity change in Botswana’s financial institutions: an application of Malmquist productivity indices," Economics Working Papers wp08-13, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2007. "Identification of Segments of European Banks with a Latent Class Frontier Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 2110, CESifo Group Munich.
- Donsyah Yudistira, 2004. "Efficiency of Islamic Banks: an Empirical Analysis of 18 Banks," Finance 0406007, EconWPA.
- Sailesh Tanna & Kyriaki Kosmidou & Fotios Pasiouras, 2005. "Determinants of profitability of domestic UK commercial banks: panel evidence from the period 1995-2002," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 45, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Amel, Dean & Barnes, Colleen & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2004. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: A review of the international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2493-2519, October.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.