Price spread and convenience yield behaviour in the international oil market
AbstractThis paper examines the price and volatility behaviour of two similar commodities (Brent Crude Oil and West Texas Intermediate) and attempts to identify the variables that affect their relative price differential. Price spreads and convenience yields are estimated in an effort to test a number of hypotheses relating to market segmentation, seasonality and maturity effect. Cash and futures price data covering the period 1991-1995 reveal that: convenience yields are significant and about 2.5% of cash prices on the average; convenience yields exhibit strong yearly and monthly seasonalities due to supply/demand imbalances; convenience yield is a negative function of the level of stocks and behaves like a call option; as maturity of futures contracts nears, their convenience yields get smaller, an indication that the maturity effect exists in futures prices, and crude oil price spreads are affected by convenience yields which act as surrogates for demand/supply conditions and market price behaviour.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Riva, Fabrice & Lautier, Delphine, 2004. "Liquidity and volatility in the American crude oil futures market," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1244, Paris Dauphine University.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/2274 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chiou Wei, Song Zan & Zhu, Zhen, 2006. "Commodity convenience yield and risk premium determination: The case of the U.S. natural gas market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 523-534, July.
- Bertrand Candelon & Marc Joëts & Sessi Tokpavi, 2012. "Testing for crude oil markets globalization during extreme price movements," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-28, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Giulio Cifarelli & Giovanna Paladino, 2009. "Is Oil A Financial Asset? An Empirical Investigation Spanning the Last Fifteen Years," Working Papers Series wp2009_12.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Botterud, Audun & Kristiansen, Tarjei & Ilic, Marija D., 2010. "The relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 967-978, September.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2009. "Convenience Yield and Commodity Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2274, Paris Dauphine University.
- Giulio Cifarelli & Paolo Paesani, 2012. "An Assessment of the Theory of Storage: Has the Relationship between Commodity Price Volatility and Market Fundamentals Changed Over Time?," Working Papers Series wp2012_12.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Diderik Lund, 2003.
"How to analyze the investment–uncertainty relationship in real option models?,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
03-17, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Lund, Diderik, 2005. "How to analyze the investment-uncertainty relationship in real option models?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 311-322.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/1245 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reboredo, Juan C., 2011. "How do crude oil prices co-move?: A copula approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 948-955, September.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2003. "The informational value of crude oil futures prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1245, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fattouh, Bassam, 2010. "The dynamics of crude oil price differentials," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 334-342, March.
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Stefan Trück & Rafal Weron, 2006. "Convenience Yields for CO2 Emission Allowance Futures Contracts," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-076, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- C. L. Dunis & Jason Laws & Ben Evans, 2006. "Trading futures spreads: an application of correlation and threshold filters," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(12), pages 903-914.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2005. "Segmentation in the Crude Oil Futures Term Structure," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/95, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.