Project selection and equivalent CAPM-based investment criteria
AbstractThis article shows that the Capital Asset Pricing Model-based capital budgeting criteria proposed by Tuttle and Litzenberger (1968), Mossin (1969), Hamada (1969), Stapleton (1971), Rubinstein (1973), Bierman and Hass (1973) and Bogue and Roll (1974) are equivalent. They all state that a project is profitable if its internal rate of return is greater than the risk-adjusted cost of capital, where the latter is given by the sum of the risk-free rate and a risk-premium which is a function of the systematic risk of the project, itself a function of the project cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20
Other versions of this item:
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project selection and equivalent CAPM-based investment criteria," MPRA Paper 14526, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Budd, Alan P., 1970. "Corporate Investment Criteria and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(4-5), pages 395-419, December.
- Stapleton, Richard C, 1974. "Capital Budgeting under Uncertainty: A Reformation: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1583-84, December.
- Mossin, Jan, 1969. "Security Pricing and Investment Criteria in Competitive Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 749-56, December.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007.
"Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage,"
14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Bierman, Harold, Jr & Hass, Jerome E, 1973. "Capital Budgeting Under Uncertainty: A Reformulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 119-29, March.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2009.
"Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 549-560, January.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?," MPRA Paper 5471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "CAPM and capital budgeting: present versus future, equilibrium versus disequilibrium, decision versus valuation," MPRA Paper 5468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.