The long-run relationship between stock returns and inflation in developing countries: further evidence from a nonparametric cointegration test
AbstractThis study indirectly examines the issue of potential nonlinear long-run relationship between stock returns and inflation for 18 developing countries using recent developments in the theory of nonparametric cointegration. The empirical results found evidence of a nonlinear adjustment towards the long-run relationship between stock returns and inflation for 13 out of the 18 developing countries considered in this study. These findings are tentatively interpreted as adding to the recent evidence of nonlinearities in the relationship between stock returns and inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 2 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bierens, H.J., 1995.
"Nonparametric cointegration analysis,"
1995-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- William A. Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 1998.
"Martingales, Nonlinearity, and Chaos,"
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2012. "Martingales, Nonlinearity, And Chaos," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201225, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes, 2001. "Nonparametric cointegration analysis of real exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-8.
- H. Peter Boswijk & Andre Lucas & Nick Taylor, 1999. "A Comparison of Parametric, Semi-nonparametric, Adaptive, and Nonparametric Cointegration Tests," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-012/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hubrich, Kirstin & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1998.
"A review of systemscointegration tests,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,101, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Nicole Davis & Ali Kutan, 2003. "Inflation and output as predictors of stock returns and volatility: international evidence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 693-700.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Seo, Byeongseon, 2002.
"Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 293-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen/Seo paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kaul, Gautam & Seyhun, H Nejat, 1990. " Relative Price Variability, Real Shocks, and the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 479-96, June.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Gregory O'Rourke & Stephen Thomas, 1997. "Stock returns and inflation: a macro analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 127-136.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2002.
"The relation between asset returns and inflation at short and long horizons,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 101-118, April.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2000. "The Relation Between Asset Returns and Inflation at Short and Long Horizons," Finance Working Papers 00-9, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Pippenger, Michael K & Goering, Gregory E, 1993. "A Note on the Empirical Power of Unit Root Tests under Threshold Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 473-81, November.
- Spyros Spyrou, 2001. "Stock returns and inflation: evidence from an emerging market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(7), pages 447-450.
- Floros, C., 2004. "Stock Returns and Inflation in Greece," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2).
- Boyd, John H. & Levine, Ross & Smith, Bruce D., 2001. "The impact of inflation on financial sector performance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 221-248, April.
- S. I. Spyrou, 2004. "Are stocks a good hedge against inflation? evidence from emerging markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 41-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.