Testing for linear and nonlinear Granger Causality in the stock price--volume relation: Turkish banking firms’ evidence
AbstractIn this study, the causality test, proposed by Peguin-Feissolle and Terasvirta (1999), based on a Taylor expansion of the nonlinear model, is used to examine the dynamic relationship between daily Turkish banking sector stock price and trading volume. Evidence is found of significant linear and nonlinear causality between these two series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 2 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
" Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1115-53, December.
- G. William Schwert, 1990. "Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?," NBER Working Papers 2798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Kwan, 2002. "Bank security prices and market discipline," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec20.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1995. "Can Speculative Trading Explain the Volume-Volatility Relation?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 379-96, October.
- Péguin-Feissolle, Anne & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1999.
"A general framework for testing the Granger noncausality hypothesis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
343, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Peguin-Feissolle, A. & Terasvirta, T., 1999. "A General Framework for Testing the Granger Noncausality Hypothesis," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a42, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Silvapulle, Param & Choi, Jong-Seo, 1999. "Testing for linear and nonlinear granger causality in the stock price-volume relation: Korean evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 59-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.