The shareholder wealth effects of voluntary foreign delistings: an empirical analysis
AbstractThis study investigates the shareholder wealth effects of voluntary foreign delistings for the first time using a sample of US firms delisted voluntarily from Japan. Using conventional event study methodology, no significant price changes are found following the delisting events, consistent with the voluntary nature of the delistings and the public information nature of the delisting reasons cited, i.e., small number of shareholders and low trading volume for the dually-listed stocks in the host market. Nonetheless, stock prices, on average, do seem to drop gradually over time, in line with possible liquidation of the to-be-delisted stocks around the events.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & René M. Stulz, 2008.
"Why Do Foreign Firms Leave U.S. Equity Markets?,"
NBER Working Papers
14245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene, 2008. "Why Do Foreign Firms Leave U.S. Equity Markets? An Analysis of Deregistrations under SEC Exchange Act Rule 12h-6," Working Paper Series 2008-14, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- You, Leyuan & Parhizgari, Ali M. & Srivastava, Suresh, 2012. "Cross-listing and subsequent delisting in foreign markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 200-216.
- Liu, Shinhua, 2008. "Commission deregulation and performance of securities firms: Further evidence from Japan," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 355-368.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.