The impact of financial deregulation on monetary aggregates and interest rates in Australia
AbstractThis study employs all quarterly time series currently available to endogenously determine the timing of structural breaks for various monetary aggregates and interest rates in Australia over the last 30 years. The Innovational Outlier model (IO) and the Additive Outlier model (AO) are then used to test for nonstationarity. After accounting for the single most significant structural break, the results from both models clearly indicate that the null of at least one unit root cannot be rejected for almost all series examined. The structural breaks found coincide with important policy changes during the period of financial deregulation starting in the 1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17446546.asp
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P., 1994.
"Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables,"
Cahiers de recherche
9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, Pierre, 1997. "Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P., 1990. "Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables," Papers 350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Jayanthakumaran, K. & Pahlavani, M., 2006.
"Australia and New Zealand CER agreement and breakpoints in bilateral trade: an application of the Wald-type test,"
Applied Econometrics and International Development,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(2).
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006. "Australia and New Zealand CER Agreement and Breakpoints in Bilateral Trade: An Application of the Wald-type Test," Economics Working Papers wp06-06, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Harvie, Charles & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006. "Testing for Structural Breaks in the Korean Economy 1980-2005: An Application of the Innovational Outlier and Additive Outlier Models," Economics Working Papers wp06-09, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006.
"Structural Breaks in Trade and Income Per Capita in ASEAN-5 Countries: An Application of Innovational Outlier Models,"
Economics Working Papers
wp06-12, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- JAYANTHAKUMARAN, Kankesu & PAHLAVANI, Mosayeb, 2007. "Structural Breaks In Trade And Income Per Capita In Asean-5 Countries: An Application Of Innovational Outlier Models," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(2).
- VALADKHANI, A. & LAYTON, Allan P. & PAHLAVANI, M., 2005.
"Multiple Structural Breaks In Australia’S Macroeconomic Data: An Application Of The Lumsdaine And Papell Test,"
International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(3), pages 31-44.
- Valadkhani, Abbas & Layton, Allan P. & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2005. "Multiple Structural Breaks in Australia's Macroeconomic Data: An Application of the Lumsdaine and Papell Test," Economics Working Papers wp05-17, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.