Does volume provide information? Evidence from the Irish Stock Market
AbstractThe mixture of distributions hypothesis (MDH) suggests that trading volume of shares provides information to share prices and returns. This study examines this, for the first time, in the context of the Irish stock exchange. The evidence is mixed, and only weakly in favour of the MDH. Volume appears not to be important in explaining the volatility of the Irish market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17446546.asp
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giampiero Gallo & Barbara Pacini, 2000. "The effects of trading activity on market volatility," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 163-175.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. " Heteroskedasticity in Stock Return Data: Volume versus GARCH Effects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 221-29, March.
- Pratap Chandra Pati & Prabina Rajib, 2010. "Volatility persistence and trading volume in an emerging futures market: Evidence from NSE Nifty stock index futures," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 296-309, May.
- Mubarik, Fauzia & Javid, Attiya Yasmin, 2009. "Analysis of asymmetry in the price-volume relation: evidence from Pakistani stock market," MPRA Paper 37558, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.