Size, age and firm growth in the Indian manufacturing sector
AbstractThe conventional wisdom on the relationship of firm growth with its size and age is typically based on the studies in developed economies. In contrast, this study analyses the firm growth patterns for an emerging economy, namely India. It uses a balanced panel of 392 manufacturing firms over the years 1989-1990 to 1992-1993 to explore unobserved heterogeneity among firms. Results indicate that age positively influences growth, which is the opposite of the result obtained in previous studies. The current size negatively impacts growth as in earlier studies. Results also indicate that smaller and older firms grow faster than their counterparts. Size effect is larger in food industry while the age effect is larger in non-metal industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ferri Kuswantoro & M. Mohd Rosli & Radiah Abdul Kader, 2012. "Innovation In Distribution Channel(S) & Cost Efficiency On Small & Medium Enterprise Scales’ Performance In Indonesia," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship, Global Research Agency, vol. 3(1), pages 42-67, July.
- B.L. Pandit & N.S. Siddharthan, 2007. "Inter-firm differences in FII portfolio investment in India," Working Papers id:1243, eSocialSciences.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra, Agustí & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013.
"Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 173-189.
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí & Teruel Carrizosa, Mercedes, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers 2072/179572, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Alex Coad & Agustí Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Working Papers XREAP2010-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Sep 2010.
- Alex Coad & AgustÃ Segarra & Mercedes Teruel, 2010. "Like milk or wine: Does firm performance improve with age?," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Alexander Coad & Jagannadha Pawan Tamvada, 2008. "The Growth and Decline of Small firms In Developing Countries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-08, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Rajesh Raj, Seethamma Natarajan, 2007. "Technical Efficiency in the Informal Manufacturing Enterprises: Firm level evidence from an Indian state," MPRA Paper 7816, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adamos Adamou & Subash S, 2008. "The Impact of R&D and Foreign Direct Investment on Firm Growth in Emerging-Developing Countries : Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Industries," Development Economics Working Papers 22492, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Saumitra, Bhaduri & Amit, Kumar, 2012. "Allocation of capital in the post liberalized regime: a case study of the Indian corporate sector," MPRA Paper 37999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.