A factor model of term structure slopes in Eurocurrency markets
AbstractRecent empirical work has documented the existence of specific information in the slope of the term structure which is relevant to forecast future changes in economic activity. A good forecasting model of term structure slopes could therefore be helpful to anticipate changes in economic activity with an even longer anticipation. Firstly, it is analysed whether a good forecasting model can be found for term structure slopes in different currencies. After that, a factor model is constructed of term structure slopes, and the quality of slope forecasts obtained from factor models are compared to those obtained from univariate models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Alfonso Novales & Emilio Domínguez, 2002. "A factor model of term structure slopes in eurocurrency markets," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0224, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Estrella & Gikas A. Hardouvelis, 1989.
"The term structure as a predictor of real economic activity,"
8907, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Estrella, Arturo & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1991. " The Term Structure as a Predictor of Real Economic Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 555-76, June.
- Katsimbris, George M & Miller, Stephen M, 1993. "Interest Rate Linkages within the European Monetary System: Further Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(4), pages 771-79, November.
- Hagen, Jurgen von & Fratianni, Michele, 1990. "German dominance in the EMS: evidence from interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 358-375, December.
- Karfakis, C. J. & Moschos, D.M., 1990.
"Interest Rate Linkages Within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis,"
144, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Karfakis, Costas J & Moschos, Demetrios M, 1990. "Interest Rate Linkages within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(3), pages 389-94, August.
- Plosser, Charles I. & Geert Rouwenhorst, K., 1994. "International term structures and real economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 133-155, February.
- Krylova, Elizaveta & Nikkinen, Jussi & Vähämaa, Sami, 2005.
"Cross-dynamics of volatility term structures implied by foreign exchange options,"
Working Paper Series
0530, European Central Bank.
- Krylova, Elizaveta & Nikkinen, Jussi & Vähämaa, Sami, 2009. "Cross-dynamics of volatility term structures implied by foreign exchange options," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 355-375, September.
- Abad, Pilar & Novales, Alfonso, 2005.
"An error correction factor model of term structure slopes in international swap markets,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 229-254, July.
- Pilar Abad & Alfonso Novales, 2002. "An Error Correction Factor Model of Term Structure Slopes in International Swaps Markets," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0222, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.