Human capital and wages: evidence for external effects from the UK regions
AbstractA large panel of regional UK data is used to provide detailed estimates of the direct and external effects of education and labour market experience on wages. The results offer strong evidence in support of the predictions of the endogenous growth theory (Lucas, 1988), where the - spatial or sectoral - concentration of human capital is expected to generate increasing returns in the production process. The findings are stronger for labour market experience, while no supportive evidence is found for the case of years of schooling. Possibly, better data on the quality of educational qualifications could offer a better measurement of the external education effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helena Marques & Hugh Metcalf, 2004.
"Extending The EU Single Market Eastwards: Sectoral Trade And Real Wage Effects,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
127, Royal Economic Society.
- Helena Marques & Hugh Metcalf, 2003. "Extending the EU Single Market Eastwards: Sectoral Trade and Real Wage Effects," Discussion Paper Series 2003_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Oct 2003.
- Helena Marques & Hugh Metcalf, 2003. "Wage Gradients in an Enlarged EU," Discussion Paper Series 2003_13, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Dec 2003.
- Helena Marques, 2005.
"The skilled u-shaped Europe: is it really and on which side does it stand?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2205-2220.
- Helena Marques, 2004. "The skilled U-shaped Europe: is it really and on which side does it stand?," Discussion Paper Series 2004_06, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Mar 2004.
- Kaplanis, Ioannis, 2011. "Wage effects from changes in local human capital in Britain," Working Papers 2072/179614, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.