A note on weak form market efficiency in security prices: evidence from the Hong Kong stock exchange
AbstractThis paper employs variance ratio tests with both homoscedastic and heteroscedastic error variances to examine the random walk hypothesis for the Hang Seng Index on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The empirical investigation leads us to suggest that the Hang Seng follows a random walk model and consequently that the index is weak form efficient. This conclusion offers both confirmatory and conflicting support for the conclusions of previous research, which has investigated the presence of random walks in the indices of both developed and emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gozbasi, Onur & Kucukkaplan, Ilhan & Nazlioglu, Saban, 2014. "Re-examining the Turkish stock market efficiency: Evidence from nonlinear unit root tests," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 381-384.
- DePenya, Francisco J. & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2007. "Serial correlation in the Spanish Stock Market," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 84-103.
- Eduardo Jose Araujo Lima & Benjamin Miranda Tabak, 2004. "Tests of the random walk hypothesis for equity markets: evidence from China, Hong Kong and Singapore," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 255-258.
- Chiang, Shu-Mei & Lee, Yen-Hsien & Su, Hsin-Mei & Tzou, Yi-Pin, 2010. "Efficiency tests of foreign exchange markets for four Asian Countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 284-294, September.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2003. "Weak-form market efficiency in European emerging and developed stock markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 159, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.