Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects
AbstractThis paper examines the evidence for a day-of-the-week effect in five Southeast Asian stock markets: South Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand. Findings indicate significant seasonality for three of the five markets. Market risk, proxied by the return on the FTA World Price Index, is not sufficient to explain this calendar anomaly. Although an extension of the risk-return equation to incorporate interactive seasonal dummy variables can explain some significant day-of-the-week effects, market risk alone appears insufficient to characterize this phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruchika Gahlot & Saroj Kumar Datta, 2012. "Impact of future trading on stock market: a study of BRIC countries," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 118-132, June.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan, 2013. "DOW effects in returns and in volatility of stock markets during quiet and turbulent times," MPRA Paper 47218, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Apr 2013.
- Rodolfo Aquino, 2006. "Efficiency of the Philippine stock market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 463-470.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:5:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia & Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa, 2008.
"Day-of-the-week effects in Selected East Asian stock markets,"
AccessEcon, vol. 7(5), pages 1-8.
- Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2007. "Day-of-the-week effects in selected East Asian stock markets," MPRA Paper 7299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ndako, Umar Bida, 2013. "The Day of the Week effect on stock market returns and volatility: Evidence from Nigeria and South Africa," MPRA Paper 48076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lean Hooi Hooi & Wong Wing Keung & Russell Smyth, 2005.
"Revisiting Calender Anomolies in Asian Stock Markets Using a Stochastic Dominance Approach,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
16/05, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Lean, Hooi Hooi & Smyth, Russell & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2007. "Revisiting calendar anomalies in Asian stock markets using a stochastic dominance approach," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 125-141, April.
- Syed Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2006.
"Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 621-628.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Cunado, Juncal & de Gracia, Fernando Perez, 2013. "Salient features of dependence in daily US stock market indices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(15), pages 3198-3212.
- Anwar, Yunita & Mulyadi, Martin Surya, 2009. "The day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock market," MPRA Paper 16873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alagidede, Paul, 2008. "Month-of-the-year and pre-holiday seasonality in African stock markets," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2008-23, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Högholm, Kenneth & Knif, Johan, 2009. "The impact of portfolio aggregation on day-of-the-week effect: Evidence from Finland," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 67-79.
- Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2006. "Calendar anomalies in the Malaysian stock market," MPRA Paper 516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shiok Ye Lim & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia, 2010. "Stock Market Calendar Anomalies: Evidence from ASEAN-5 Stock Markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 996-1005.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2013. "Long Memory in the Ukrainian Stock Market," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1279, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan, 2010. "Changes in the DOW effects in the Romanian foreign exchange market," MPRA Paper 41666, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Mar 2010.
- Stephen P. Keef & Hui Zhu, 2009. "The Monday effect in U.S. cotton prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 427-448.
- Keef, Stephen P. & Khaled, Mohammed & Zhu, Hui, 2009. "The dynamics of the Monday effect in international stock indices," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 125-133, June.
- Jason D. Mitchell & Li L. Ong, 2006. "Seasonalities in China's Stock Markets: Cultural or Structural?," IMF Working Papers 06/04, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.