Identifying the mechanism: is there a bank lending channel of monetary transmission in the Netherlands?
AbstractThe paper investigates the role of bank lending in the monetary transmission process in the Netherlands. The Johansen approach is used to identify supply and demand relationships in the credit market, and it is concluded from the short-run dynamics that this market is demand-determined. In this way, an important identification problem of studies based on aggregate data is explicitly addressed. Results are consistent with earlier fundings that banks hold a buffer stock of securities which they use to offset monetary shocks. The main implication of the study is that a bank lending channel is not an important monetary transmission mechanism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kim-Leng Goh & Sook-Lu Yong, 2007. "Bank lending and monetary policy: the effects of structural shift in interest rates," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(5), pages 1-14.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2007.
"Identification of a Loan Supply Function: A Cross-Country Test for the Existence of a Bank Lending Channel,"
54, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D., 2009. "Identification of a loan supply function: A cross-country test for the existence of a bank lending channel," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 321-335, April.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Garganas, Eugenie N. & Hall, Stephen G., 2012.
"Consumer credit in an era of financial liberalisation: An overreaction to repressed demand?,"
41819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sophocles Brissimis & Eugenie Garganas & Stephen G. Hall, 2012. "Consumer credit in an era of financial liberalisation: an overreaction to repressed demand?," Working Papers 148, Bank of Greece.
- Calza, Alessandro & Manrique, Marta & Sousa, João, 2003. "Aggregate loans to the euro area private sector," Working Paper Series 0202, European Central Bank.
- repec:pra:mprapa:40579 is not listed on IDEAS
- L. de Haan, 2001.
"The Credit Channel in the Netherlands: Evidence from Bank Balance Sheets,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
674, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo, 2001. "The credit channel in the Netherlands: evidence from bank balance sheets," Working Paper Series 0098, European Central Bank.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:5:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Calza, Alessandro & Gartner, Christine & Sousa, João, 2001.
"Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0055, European Central Bank.
- A. Calza & C. Gartner & J. Sousa, 2003. "Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 107-117.
- Carrera, César, 2011. "El canal del crédito bancario en el Perú: Evidencia y mecanismo de transmisión," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 22, pages 63-82.
- Luiz de Mello & Mauro Pisu, 2009.
"The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Transmission in Brazil: A VECM Approach,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
711, OECD Publishing.
- de Mello, Luiz & Pisu, Mauro, 2010. "The bank lending channel of monetary transmission in Brazil: A VECM approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 50-60, February.
- Gabe De Bondt, 2005. "Determinants of corporate debt securities in the Euro area," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 493-509.
- José Manuel Marqués & Fernando Nieto & Ana del Río, 2005. "Una aproximación a los determinantes de la financiación de las sociedades no financieras en España," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0535, Banco de Espa�a.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Nicholas S. Magginas, 2003.
"Changes in Financial Structure and Asset Price Substitutability: A Test of the Bank Lending Channel,"
05, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Magginas, Nicholas S., 2005. "Changes in financial structure and asset price substitutability: A test of the bank lending channel," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 879-904, September.
- Mohd Zaini Abd Karim & Amy Azhar Mohd Harif & Azira Adziz, 2006. "Monetary Policy and Sectoral Bank Lending in Malaysia," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 303-326.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.