Empirical estimates of the rate of depreciation of education
AbstractIn this paper we develop a method to estimate the rate of depreciation of human capital. The model is estimated on data for Great Britain and the Netherlands. It is found that the rate of depreciation of education is 11-17% per year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simon Janßen & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2009.
"Skill Obsolescence, Vintage Effects and Changing Tasks,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(1), pages 83-103.
- Simon Janssen & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2008. "Skill obsolescence, vintage effects and changing tasks," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0063, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Magali Jaoul, 2004. "Enseignement supérieur et marchés du travail. Analyse économétrique de la théorie de l’engorgement," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 166(5), pages 39-57.
- Hoyt Bleakley & Jeffrey Lin, 2007.
"Thick-market effects and churning in the labor market: evidence from U.S. cities,"
07-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bleakley, Hoyt & Lin, Jeffrey, 2012. "Thick-market effects and churning in the labor market: Evidence from US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 87-103.
- Conti, Gabriella, 2005. "Training, productivity and wages in Italy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 557-576, August.
- O'Mahony, Mary & Peng, Fei, 2009. "Skill bias, age and organizational change," MPRA Paper 38767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Surender, 2008. "Is India on a Sustainable Development Path?," MPRA Paper 10086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- María Arrazola & José de Hevia & Marta Risueño & José Félix Sanz Sanz, 2005. "A proposal to estimate human capital depreciation: some evidence for Spain," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 172(1), pages 9-22, June.
- Inés P. Murillo, 2011. "Human capital obsolescence: some evidence for Spain," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 426-445, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.