Unemployment persistence: the case of Sweden
AbstractAn unobserved components time-series model is used to examine the persistence in Swedish unemployment. Three sources of unemployment persistence are identified: natural rate shocks; hysteresis; and persistent cycles. Hysteresis effects are modelled by allowing cyclical unemployment to have a lagged effect on the natural rate. The evidence suggests that the course of unemployment in Sweden has mainly been determined by natural rate shocks. This is especially the case for the large increase during the early 1990s, but also for the smaller changes between 1970 and the late 1980s. Hysteresis effects are also present but they are less important because of the relatively small cyclical changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000.
"Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-job Search and Persistent Unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
2000:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2005. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eriksson, S. & Gottfries, N., 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-Job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Papers 2000:3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Österholm, Pär, 2010.
"Unemployment and labour-force participation in Sweden,"
Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 205-208, March.
- Österholm, Pär, 2009. "Unemployment and Labour Force Participation in Sweden," Working Paper 113, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Magnus Gustavsson & Par Osterholm, 2006. "Hysteresis and non-linearities in unemployment rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 545-548.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 2003.
"The Rise and Fall of Swedish Unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
2003:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.