On testing Kuznets' economic growth hypothesis
AbstractKuznets (1955) hypothesizes that during economic growth, per capita income inequality first increases, reaches a peak and then declines. We test this relationship for 36 less developed countries (LDCs) using a regression model, with quadratic functional form, relating income inequality to income. Estimation using robust errors to correct for heteroscedasticity yields results which support Kuznets's hypothesis. Inequality is greatest at about a level of real GDP (1980 international prices) of US$2000/head.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Angeles, 2007. "A proper farewell to Kuznets' hypothesi," Working Papers 2007_15, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Alvargonzalez, M. & Lopez, A. & Perez, R., 2004. "Growth-Inequality Relationship. An Analytical Approach and Some Evidence for Latin America," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2).
- Narain Sinha, 2004. "Growth, Inequality and Structural Adjustment: An Empirical Interpretation of the S-Curve for Indian Economy," ASARC Working Papers 2004-16, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Muhammad Shahbaz, 2010. "Income inequality-economic growth and non-linearity: a case of Pakistan," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(8), pages 613-636, July.
- Juan Vicente-Perdiz & Luis M. Borge, 2000. "Desarrollo y desigualdad con progreso técnico," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 709-726, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.