An empirical note on inequality in the world development indicators
AbstractA broad range of inequality measures is used to examine inter-country inequality in two highly correlated indicators of development, the per capita real income (Y) and the Human Development Index (HDI). The difference in the degree of inequality in Y and the HDI is found to be highly sensitive to the inequality index. Wolfson's index reflected high inter-country inequality in both Y and the HDI. Several other indexes also measured high inequality in Y and the HDI at varying levels. The entropy class of measures exhibited a high inequality in Y but negligible inequality in the HDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Udaya Mishra & S. Subramanian, 2006. "On measuring group-differentials displayed by socioeconomic indicators," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 519-521.
- Wolff, Hendrik & Chong, Howard & Auffhammer, Maximilian, 2008.
"Consequences of Data Error in Aggregate Indicators: Evidence from the Human Development Index,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3346, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wolff, Hendrik & Chong, Howard & Auffhammer, Maximilian, 2008. "Consequences of data error in aggregate indicators : evidence from the humand development index," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1051, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Wolff, Hendrik & Chong, Howard & Auffhammer, Maximilian, 2008. "Consequences of Data Error in Aggregate Indicators: Evidence from the Human Development Index," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt18s0z7mj, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Mark McGillivray & J. Ram Pillarisetti, 2004. "International inequality in well-being," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 563-574.
- Wolff, Hendrik & Chong, Howard & Auffhammer, Maximilian, 2009. "Human Development Index: Are Developing Countries Misclassified? (former title: "Consequences of Data Error in Aggregate Indicators: Evidence from the Human Development Index)," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49763, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Manijeh Sabi, 2007. "Globalization and Human Development," Papers of the Annual IUE-SUNY Cortland Conference in Economics, in: Proceedings of the Conference on Globalization and Its Discontents, pages 102-119 Izmir University of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.