Inequality factor decomposition under uniform additions property with applications to Cameroonian rural data
AbstractIn this article, we generalize and extend the Morduch and Sicular's (2002) Coefficient of Variation (CV)-squared decomposition approach. This leads to a class of decomposition methods which satisfy the uniform additions principle, especially in the case of the Gini index. The regression-based method using the new formulations of component contributions is carried out. An application using Cameroonian data is provided to support the appropriateness of the procedure and to contrast our results to those of Morduch and Sicular.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 14 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Chameni Nembua, Célestin, 2009. "Inequality factor decompotition under uniform additions property with applications to Cameroonian rural data," MPRA Paper 31250, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006.
"Rethinking inequality decomposition: comment,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3782, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition:Comment," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 82, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 2002.
"Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, With Evidence from Rural China,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 93-106, January.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 1998. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, with Evidence from Rural China," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1831, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Wan, Guanghua, 2002. "Regression-based Inequality Decomposition: Pitfalls and a Solution Procedure," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.