The current stock of money: an aggregation theoretic measure of narrowly defined money
AbstractWhile the usual definition of narrowly defined money is in terms of grouping of assets to be included in the aggregate, the Current Stock of Money (CSM) focuses on the function of those assets. By isolating the portion of each monetary asset that functions as currency, the CSM measures the amount of currency needed to provide an equal level of monetary service to that of the current monetary portfolio. This makes the CSM suitable for use in any model that contains currency, that is, narrowly defined money. Thus, the main contributions of this research are to derive the CSM and to show that the Currency Equivalent (CE) index is an unbiased measure of the CSM.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kelly, Logan & Barnett, William A. & Keating, John, 2010.
"Rethinking the liquidity puzzle: application of a new measure of the economic money stock,"
22087, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kelly, Logan J. & Barnett, William A. & Keating, John W., 2011. "Rethinking the liquidity puzzle: Application of a new measure of the economic money stock," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 768-774, April.
- Logan Kelly & William Barnett & John Keating, 2010. "Rethinking the Liquidity Puzzle: Application of a New Measure of the Economic Money Stock," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 1001, UWRF - Center for Economic Research, College of Business and Economics, University of Wisconsin - River Falls.
- Kelly, Logan & Barnett, William A. & Keating, John W., 2010. "Rethinking the Liquidity Puzzle: Application of a New Measure of the Economic Money Stock," MPRA Paper 22085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Barnett & Logan Kelly & John Keating, 2010. "Rethinking the Liquidity Puzzle: Application of a New Measure of the Economic Money Stock," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201002, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.