The savings-inflation puzzle
AbstractWe find that inflation does not unanimously decrease savings in the US during the postwar period. This result is puzzling as it contradicts the implications of most monetary general equilibrium models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Other versions of this item:
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roubini, N. & Sala-i-Martin, X., 1992.
"A Growth Model of Inflation, Tax Evasion and Financial Repression,"
658, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "A growth model of inflation, tax evasion, and financial repression," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 275-301, April.
- Nouriel Roubini & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1992. "A Growth Model of Inflation, Tax Evasion, and Financial Repression," NBER Working Papers 4062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kormendi, Roger C. & Meguire, Philip G., 1985. "Macroeconomic determinants of growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 141-163, September.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002.
"On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Ravn, M.O. & Uhlig, H., 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott Filter for the frequency of observations," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Heer, Burkhard & Sussmuth, Bernd, 2007.
"Effects of inflation on wealth distribution: Do stock market participation fees and capital income taxation matter?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 277-303, January.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1995.
"Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994. "Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 1993.
"Growth and the Effects of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Forges, Françoise & Koessler, Frédéric, 2008.
"Long persuasion games,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 1-35, November.
- Francoise Forges & Frédéric Koessler, 2006. "Long Persuasion Games," CESifo Working Paper Series 1669, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francoise Forges & Frederic Koessler, 2006. "Long Persuasion Games," THEMA Working Papers 2006-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salotti, Simone, 2008. "Global imbalances and household savings: the role of wealth," MPRA Paper 17729, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.