Inflation targeting and the inflation-inflation uncertainty relationship: evidence from Thailand
AbstractThis study extends the literature on the relationships between inflation and inflation volatility by examining the impact of inflation targeting on inflation volatility in Thailand. The ARIMA-GARCH model reveals that inflation targeting marginally reduced the degree of volatility persistence in response to inflationary shocks (i.e. inflation uncertainty). Granger-causality tests show that an increase in inflation causes an increase in inflation uncertainty. However, an increase in inflation uncertainty causes a decrease in inflation. Thus, the relationship between inflation and inflation uncertainty in Thailand support Holland's (1995) stabilization hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pellegrini, Santiago & Ruiz, Esther & Espasa, Antoni, 2011.
"Prediction intervals in conditionally heteroscedastic time series with stochastic components,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 308-319, April.
- Pellegrini, Santiago & Ruiz, Esther & Espasa, Antoni, 2011. "Prediction intervals in conditionally heteroscedastic time series with stochastic components," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 308-319.
- Ramprasad Bhar & Girijasankar Mallik, 2012. "Inflation, Inflation Uncertainty and Macroeconomic Performance in Australia," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 42(3), pages 305-318, December.
- Komain Jiranyakul & Timothy P. Opiela, 2011. "The Impact of Inflation Uncertainty on Output Growth and Inflation in Thailand," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 25(3), pages 291-307, 09.
- Bhar, Ramprasad & Mallik, Girijasankar, 2010. "Inflation, inflation uncertainty and output growth in the USA," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(23), pages 5503-5510.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.