Alternative methods of calculating optimal timber rotations: a critique of the Stokey/Lucas/Prescott tree-cutting problem
AbstractThe traditional question of optimally deciding when to cut down a tree is among the most commonly posed questions asked of students learning the technique of dynamic programming. This paper shows that the traditional tree-cutting example is improperly formulated when the question of replanting is addressed, derives the proper method of finding optimal harvest length, and applies this method to an empirical forest growth function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Victor Matheson, 2007. "Alternative Methods of Calculating Optimal Timber Rotations: A Critique of the Stokey/Lucas/Prescott Tree-Cutting Problem," Working Papers 0701, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thang, Tran Cong & Burton, Michael P. & Brennan, Donna C., 2009. "Optimal replanting and cutting rule for coffee farmers in Vietnam," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47638, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.