Technical analysis and the London stock exchange: testing the MACD and RSI rules using the FT30
AbstractThis article examines two oscillators - the Moving Average Convergence-Divergence (MACD) and the Relative Strength Index (RSI) - to see if these rules are profitable. Using 60-year data of the London Stock Exchange FT30 Index, it is found that the RSI as well as the MACD rules can generate returns higher than the buy-and-hold strategy in most cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael McAleer & John Suen & Wing Keung Wong, 2013.
"Profiteering from the Dot-com Bubble, Sub-Prime Crisis and Asian Financial Crisis,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
13-077/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael McAleer & John Suen & Wing Keung Wong, 2013. "Profiteering from the Dot-com Bubble, Sub-Prime Crisis and Asian Financial Crisis," KIER Working Papers 869, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael McAleer & John Suen & Wing Keung Wong, 2013. "Profiteering from the Dot-com Bubble, Sub-Prime Crisis and Asian Financial Crisis," Working Papers in Economics 13/20, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:12:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ülkü, Numan & Prodan, Eugeniu, 2013. "Drivers of technical trend-following rules' profitability in world stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 214-229.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung & Ng, Wing-Kam & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2014.
"Revisiting the Performance of MACD and RSI Oscillators,"
54149, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Wing-Kam Ng & Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2014. "Revisiting the Performance of MACD and RSI Oscillators," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Abdorrahman Haeri & Masoud Rabbani & Ali Habibnia, 2011. "The Proposed Mathematical Models for Decision-Making and Forecasting on Euro-Yen in Foreign Exchange Market," Iranian Economic Review, Economics faculty of Tehran university, vol. 16(3), pages 67-91, fall.
- Kim man Lui & Terence T. L. Chong, 2013. "Do Technical Analysts Outperform Novice Traders: Experimental Evidence," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 3080-3087.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.