Rational bubbles in the US stock market? Further evidence from a nonparametric cointegration test
AbstractIn this study, we revisit the issue as to the presence of rational bubbles in the US stock market during the 1871 to 2002 period using both the Johansen cointegration and the Bierens 1997 nonparametric cointegration tests. The results from the conventional Johansen cointegration test fully support the existence of rational bubbles, whereas those from the Bierens nonparametric cointegration test attest to the absence of rational bubbles. On account of the superiority of the nonparametric method to detect cointegration when the error-correction mechanism is nonlinear, we firmly believe that the results from the nonparametric cointegration test are considerably more reliable than those derived from the conventional Johansen approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:34:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tsangyao Chang & Wen-Chi Liu, 2008. "Rational Bubbles in the Korea Stock Market? Further Evidence based on Nonlinear and Nonparametric Cointegration Tests," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(34), pages 1-12.
- Ye, Yonggang & Chang, Tsangyao & Hung, Ken & Lu, Yang-Cheng, 2011. "Revisiting rational bubbles in the G-7 stock markets using the Fourier unit root test and the nonparametric rank test for cointegration," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 346-357.
- Li-Hung Wu, 2013. "Rational Bubbles Exist in the G-7 Stock Markets? Threshold Cointegration Approach," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 32-43, December.
- Cerqueti, Roy & Costantini, Mauro, 2011. "Testing for rational bubbles in the presence of structural breaks: Evidence from nonstationary panels," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2598-2605, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.