Output convergence revisited: new time series results on industrialized countries
AbstractCross-country output convergence is re-examined using a flexible concept of unit roots. While the presence of a constant unit root in output-differences implies nonconvergence, the presence of a stochastic unit root on the contrary implies convergence. Using the output-differences between the USA and the other 14 OECD countries, we find output divergence only for the USA/UK and USA/Sweden country-pairs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Durlauf, Steven N., 1996.
"Interpreting tests of the convergence hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 161-173.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994. "Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," Working papers 9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Steven N. Durlauf, 1994. "Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leybourne, S J & McCabe, B P M & Tremayne, A R, 1996. "Can Economic Time Series Be Differenced to Stationarity?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 435-46, October.
- Ludlow, Jorge & Enders, Walter, 2000. "Estimating non-linear ARMA models using Fourier coefficients," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 333-347.
- Granger, E.J. & Swanson, N.R., 1996.
"An introduction to stochastic Unit Root Processes,"
4-96-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Kelly, Morgan, 1992. "On endogenous growth with productivity shocks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 47-56, October.
- J. Cunado & L. A. Gil-Alana & F. PErez de Gracia, 2003. "Empirical evidence on real convergence in some OECD countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 173-176.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.