Hysteresis and non-linearities in unemployment rates
AbstractThis study tests whether there is evidence of mean reversion in unemployment rates using the recently developed unit root test of Kapetanios et al. (2003). In this framework, the null hypothesis of a unit root process is tested against the alternative of a globally stationary exponential smooth transition autoregressive process. Applying the test to monthly data for Australia, Canada, Finland, Sweden and the USA, it is concluded that unemployment hysteresis finds less support when non-linearities are allowed for compared to the benchmark of using a standard Augmented Dickey-Fuller test.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Clark, 2001.
"Unemployment As A Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Andrew E. Clark, 2003. "Unemployment as a Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 289-322, April.
- Roed, Knut, 1997. " Hysteresis in Unemployment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 389-418, December.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999.
"A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 161-165, February.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 237, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Peter McAdam, 2004.
"Unemployment, Hysteresis And Transition,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(3), pages 377-401, 08.
- McAdam, Peter & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2003. "Unemployment, hysteresis and transition," Working Paper Series 0234, European Central Bank.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel & Peter McAdam, 2003. "Unemployment, Hysterisis and Transition," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 137, Royal Economic Society.
- George A. Akerlof, 1978.
"A theory of social custom, of which unemployment may be one consequence,"
Special Studies Papers
118, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Akerlof, George A, 1980. "A Theory of Social Custom, of Which Unemployment May be One Consequence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 749-75, June.
- Javid Taheri, 2000. "On the alternative explanations of persistence of unemployment in the OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 1051-1057.
- Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Tomás del Barrio-Castro & Enrique López-Bazo, 2002.
"Level shifts in a panel data based unit root test. An application to the rate of unemployment,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
C5-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Tomas del Barrio Castro & Enrique Lopez Bazo, 2002. "Level shifts in a panel data based unit root test. An application to the rate of unemployment," Working Papers in Economics 79, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ana Maria Iregui & Jesus Otero, 2003.
"On the dynamics of unemployment in a developing economy: Colombia,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(14), pages 895-898.
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, . "On the Dynamics of Unemployment in a Developing Economy: Colombia," Borradores de Economia 208, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2002. "On The Dynamics Of Unemployment In A Developing Economy: Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003298, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2005.
"On the evidence of non-linear structure in Canadian unemployment,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 101-104.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis J. Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2003. "On the Evidence of Non-Linear Structure in Canadian Unemployment," Macroeconomics 0311003, EconWPA.
- Sercu, Piet & Uppal, Raman & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 1995. " The Exchange Rate in the Presence of Transaction Costs: Implications for Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1309-19, September.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1992. "Loss of Skill during Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-91, November.
- Bengt Assarsson & Per Jansson, 1998. "Unemployment persistence: the case of Sweden," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 25-29.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
427, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1997. "Common trends and hysteresis in Scandinavian unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1781-1816, December.
- In Choi & Bhum Suk Chung, 1995. "Sampling frequency and the power of tests for a unit root: A simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 131-136, August.
- Russell Smyth, 2003. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Australian States and Territories: Evidence from Panel Data Unit Root Tests," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 36(2), pages 181-192.
- Koustas, Z. & Veloce, W., 1994. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Canada: An Approach Based on Long-Memory Time Series Models," Working Papers 1994-5, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Puah, Chin-Hong, 2009. "Does Hysteresis in Unemployment Occur in OECD Countries? Evidence from Parametric and Non-Parametric Panel Unit Roots Tests," MPRA Paper 9915, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yavuz, Nilgün Çil & Yilanci, Veli, 2012. "Testing For Nonlinearity In G7 Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 69-79, September.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2006.
"The Nature of Regional Unemployment in Italy,"
Studies in Economics
0607, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Thomas Maag, 2008. "Economic Correlates of Suicide Rates in OECD Countries," KOF Working papers 08-207, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Chang, Tsangyao & Lee, Chia-Hao, 2011. "Hysteresis in Unemployment for G-7 Countries: Threshold Unit Root Test," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 5-14, December.
- Jurgen Holl & Robert Kunst, 2011.
"Unit root in unemployment - new evidence from nonparametric tests,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(6), pages 509-512.
- Jürgen Holl & Robert M. Kunst, 2009. "Unit Root in Unemployment - New Evidence from Nonparametric Tests," Vienna Economics Papers 0915, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Cheng-Feng, 2010. "Testing for unemployment hysteresis in nonlinear heterogeneous panels: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1097-1102, September.
- Franchi, Massimo & Ordóñez, Javier, 2008. "Common smooth transition trend-stationarity in European unemployment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 106-109, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.