Samuelson's multiplier-accelerator model revisited
AbstractAs demonstrated by Samuelson, the interplay between the multiplier analysis and the principle of acceleration may generate temporary business cycles. We extend Samuelson's seminal framework in the sense that investors now apply a nonlinear mix of extrapolative and regressive expectation formation rules to predict changes in national income. As it turns out, the emergence of booms and slumps may depend on the sentiment of the investors. If they are optimistic (pessimistic), the economy performs well (badly). Moreover, the model produces sustained and intricate fluctuations in economic activity for realistic values of the marginal propensity to consume and the capital to output ratio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sonnemans, Joep & Hommes, Cars & Tuinstra, Jan & van de Velden, Henk, 2004.
"The instability of a heterogeneous cobweb economy: a strategy experiment on expectation formation,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 453-481, August.
- Sonnemans, J. & Hommes, C.H. & Tuinstra, J. & van de Velden, H., 1999. "The Instability of a Heterogeneous Cobweb economy: a Strategy Experiment on Expectation Formation," CeNDEF Working Papers 99-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Puu, Tonu & Gardini, Laura & Sushko, Irina, 2005. "A Hicksian multiplier-accelerator model with floor determined by capital stock," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 331-348, March.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1988.
"Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1990. "Foreign Exchange Rate Expectations: Micro Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 434-49, June.
- Medio,Alfredo & Gallo,Giampaolo, 1995. "Chaotic Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521484619, April.
- Herbert Simon & Lindsay McSweeney, 2010. "A Behavioral Model of Rational Choice," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 6.
- Sordi, Serena & Vercelli, Alessandro, 2012.
"Heterogeneous expectations and strong uncertainty in a Minskyian model of financial fluctuations,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 544-557.
- Serena Sordi & Alessandro Vercelli, 2010. "Heterogeneous expectations and strong uncertainty in a Minskyian model of financial fluctuations," Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena 1010, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Wegener, Michael & Westerhoff, Frank & Zaklan, Georg, 2009. "A Metzlerian business cycle model with nonlinear heterogeneous expectations," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 715-720, May.
- Michael Wegener, 2014. "Heterogeneous expectations and debt in a growth model for a small open economy," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 125-136, April.
- Hohnisch, Martin & Westerhoff, Frank, 2008. "Business cycle synchronization in a simple Keynesian macro-model with socially transmitted economic sentiment and international sentiment spill-over," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 249-259, September.
- Westerhoff Frank H., 2006. "Nonlinear Expectation Formation, Endogenous Business Cycles and Stylized Facts," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(4), pages 1-17, December.
- Christos Karpetis & Erotokritos Varelas, 2012. "Fiscal and Monetary Policy Interaction in a Simple Accelerator Model," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 199-214, May.
- Lines, Marji & Westerhoff, Frank, 2010. "Inflation expectations and macroeconomic dynamics: The case of rational versus extrapolative expectations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 246-257, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.