Does foreign direct investment affect domestic income inequality?
AbstractUsing pooled Gini coefficient 1993 to 2002 data for 119 countries from World Development Indicators 2004, World Bank, we find that income inequality, defined as the Gini coefficient, increases as FDI stocks as a percentage of GDP increase. Increases in per capita GDP and real per capita GDP growth rate reduce income inequality in a country, whereas an increase in GDP deteriorates income distribution. Furthermore, Latin American and Caribbean countries proved to have a less equal income distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pandej Chintrakarn & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012.
"Fdi And Income Inequality: Evidence From A Panel Of U.S. States,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(3), pages 788-801, 07.
- Pandej Chintrakarn & Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2010. "FDI and Income Inequality: Evidence from a Panel of US States," Kiel Working Papers 1579, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Caroline DAYMON, 2012. "Ouverture Commerciale, Inégalités De Revenu Et Répartition Salariale Dans Les Pays Du Sud Et De L’Est De La Méditerranée," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 35, pages 81-98.
- Wu, Jyun-Yi & Hsu, Chih-Chiang, 2012. "Foreign direct investment and income inequality: Does the relationship vary with absorptive capacity?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2183-2189.
- Thomas Aronsson & Erkki Koskela, 2010. "Redistributive Income Taxation under Outsourcing and Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 3051, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sadullah Çelik & Ulkem Basdas, 2010. "How Does Globalization Affect Income Inequality? A Panel Data Analysis," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 358-370, November.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008.
"Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
21708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2011. "Globalisation and poverty in Senegal: a worst case scenario?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 31-54, March.
- Maertens, Miet & Colen, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51668, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ucal, Meltem & Bilgin, Mehmet Huseyin, 2009. "Income Inequality and FDI in Turkey: FM-OLS (Phillips-Hansen) Estimation and ARDL Approach to Cointegration," MPRA Paper 48765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumie & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2007.
"Globalization and Economic Inequality in the Short and Long Run: The Case of South Korea 1975-1995,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
07-43, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Sato, Sumie & Fukushige, Mototsugu, 2009. "Globalization and economic inequality in the short and long run: The case of South Korea 1975-1995," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 62-68, January.
- Clark Don P. & Highfill Jannett & de Oliveira Campino Jonas & Rehman Scheherazade S., 2011. "FDI, Technology Spillovers, Growth, and Income Inequality: A Selective Survey," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-44, July.
- Lessmann, Christian, 2013.
"Foreign direct investment and regional inequality: A panel data analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 129-149.
- Christian Lessmann, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Inequality: A Panel Data Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 4037, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luca Agnello & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2012.
"How do banking crises impact on income inequality?,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(15), pages 1425-1429, October.
- Luca Agnello & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2011. "How do Banking Crises Impact on Income Inequality?," NIPE Working Papers 30/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Lahimer, Noomen, 2009. "La contribution des investissements directs étrangers à la réduction de la pauvreté en Afrique subsaharienne," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/1167 edited by Goaied, Mohamed & Bienaymé, Alain.
- Duong, Tran Lam Anh, 2013. "An Analysis of Changes in Wealth Distribution upon the Entrance of Foreign Direct Investment Firms," Discussion Papers 2013-09, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Luca Agnello & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2012. "Fiscall Adjustments and Income Inequality:A First Assessment," NIPE Working Papers 19/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Koskela, Erkki, 2011. "Redistributive income taxation, outsourcing and foreign direct investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 86-89, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.