A test for multivariate ARCH effects
AbstractThis paper extends Engle's LM test for ARCH affects to multivariate cases. The size and power properties of this multivariate test for ARCH effects in VAR models are investigated based on asymptotic and bootstrap distributions. Using the asymptotic distribution, deviations of actual size from nominal size do not appear to be very excessive. Nevertheless, there is a tendency for the actual size to overreject the null hypothesis when the nominal size is 1% and underreject the null when the nominal size is 5% or 10%. It is found that using a bootstrap distribution for the multivariate LM test is generally superior in achieving the appropriate size to using the asymptotic distribution when (1) the nominal size is 5%; (2) the sample size is small (40 observations) and/or the VAR system is stable. With a small sample, the power of the test using the bootstrap distribution also appears better at the 5% nominal size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- A. Hatemi-J, 2003. "A new method to choose optimal lag order in stable and unstable VAR models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 135-137.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2004. "Multivariate tests for autocorrelation in the stable and unstable VAR models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 661-683, July.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2012.
"Purchasing Power Parity between the UK and the Euro Area,"
2012-46, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2012. "Purchasing Power Parity between the UK and the Euro Area," Working Papers 1208, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Hacker, R. Scott & Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2010.
"A Bootstrap Test for Causality with Endogenous Lag Length Choice - theory and application in finance,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
223, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Scott Hacker & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2012. "A bootstrap test for causality with endogenous lag length choice: theory and application in finance," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(2), pages 144-160, May.
- Chang, Tsangyao & Cheng, Shu-Ching & Pan, Guochen & Wu, Tsung-pao, 2013. "Does globalization affect the insurance markets? Bootstrap panel Granger causality test," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 254-260.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Eduardo Roca, 2005. "Exchange rates and stock prices interaction during good and bad times: evidence from the ASEAN4 countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 539-546.
- Lokman Gunduz & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2005. "Is the tourism-led growth hypothesis valid for Turkey?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 499-504.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Roca, Eduardo, 2006. "A re-examination of international portfolio diversification based on evidence from leveraged bootstrap methods," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 993-1007, December.
- Degiannakis, Stavros & Filis, George & Floros, Christos, 2013. "Oil and stock returns: Evidence from European industrial sector indices in a time-varying environment," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 175-191.
- Chen, Sen-Sung & Cheng, Shu-Ching & Pan, Guochen & Wu, Tsung-Pao, 2013. "The relationship between globalization and insurance activities: A panel data analysis," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 151-157.
- R. Scott Hacker & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2006. "Tests for causality between integrated variables using asymptotic and bootstrap distributions: theory and application," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(13), pages 1489-1500.
- ARCH in Wikipedia (Vietnamese)
- بحث کاربر:Armin.ashoury in Wikipedia (Persian)
- واریانس ناهمسانی شرطی اتورگرسیو in Wikipedia (Persian)
- Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.